Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 05-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Frank: I will jump in here and stand to be corrected. In it's current state, there is limited "collector" interest. If it is a safe shooter (qualified gunsmith examination), I'm guessing it is may be a 500$ gun or less. If you are wanting to sell thinking it was worth a lot because it is a Parker, I think you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if you want to keep it as a family heirloom and want to restore it to the point of the pictures shown, you are looking at 2000 plus I think. All you need to not have any further spots is to give it a light coating of gun oil. You can likely remove the metal blemishes with just a bit of Hoppes #9 and some elbow grease with a soft cloth or less elbow grease with some light rubbing using 0000 steel wool or bronze wool. You could also use rust/blue remover from Birchwood Casey.
I'm a sucker for family guns. I would minimally thoroughly clean it up and if my family member had special significance in my life, pretty sure I would throw away some $$ and then shoot the heck out of it chasing birds.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #12
Frank Merchel
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dear Jack,

My current interest to keep as family heirloom and do not want to do anything to further degrade the value. Of course for me to invest money to restore the current deficiencies..... I want to smart about it.

With the Parkers current condition can I be safe to say its value would increase some proportion to the restoration investment or would its value always remain low because it lacks original integrity.

Sorry I am an Engineer and must rationalize everything!

Regards,
Frank
Frank Merchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,380 Times in 12,413 Posts

Frank, I will jump back in and say that the dollar amount you invest to improve the condition/appearance of your Parker might only be realized by 1/2 in estimating it's value when the restoration is completed.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Frank: Where are you located? Perhaps some here could suggest someone close to you who could look at your Parker and give you a price on restoration.

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #15
Frank Merchel
Forum Associate

Member Info

Really appreciate the support from eveyone with regards to path forward questions. I am located in Southern New Hampshire.

Regards,

Frank
Frank Merchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #16
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

Frank, We have a great bunch of members in southern New Hampshire. Perhaps some of them will chime in here to take a look at your Parker.