Notices

Winchester '73 and Connecticut Whitetail
Unread 11-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
TOOL MAN
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,922 Times in 421 Posts

Default Winchester '73 and Connecticut Whitetail

Sorry...one day late, but after a 300 yard drag, perhaps the sensors will allow me a bit of latitude???

As a lifelong CT resident and vintage gun nut, it's pretty hard to resist the allure of Winchester. While I love to bow hunt and shoot flintlock long rifles, the shotgun/rifle season never fanned my flame. That is, until, I bought an original, Winnie '73 with special order 30" barrel and set trigger, in the venerable .44/40 caliber. Just a pure "shooter" mind you, but with a good, strong bore. Fell in love after my first trip to the range. Soft shooting and damn accurate. Found that the black powder cartridges shot better than the modern cowboy action loads, which suited me just fine.

This was my fourth season trying to connect with a CT Whitetail and yesterday at 8:45 the Gods finally smiled. Buck was out at around 160 yards in a 15 knot cross wind. Flipped up the Express sight, dampened the front blade with my saliva -soaked thumb, a la Sgt. York and let the hammer drop. Ok, ok... in my freakin' dreams!! Actually the buck came right up my backside to around 15 yds, winded me, or perhaps heard my knees knocking like two claves!! He did the ol' 180 spin-around, scampered back and gave me an angling-in quartering shot at around 25-30 yds. Saw the silver slice of that front blade on his chest, and like the shot gunner I am, slapped that trigger like a baby's bottom. He tore off, tail down, and then I heard a CRASH and the woods fell silent. Waited a good five minutes for my heart to settle back in my chest and started after him.

No blood....no hair.....SQUAT, for a good 50-60 yards. Elation, turned quickly to the depths of depression. So I pressed onward. Then, out of the corner of my eye I saw the glint of something that turned out to be a blotch of fresh blood, three feet up on a sapling--then another patch on the tree next to it. I looked 5 yards ahead and there he was, piled-up about 10 feet off the trail.
Fairly respectable 8-PT, tipping the scale at 161 lbs., dressed.

I sat there for a good 10 minutes in awe, thinking that after 133 years, the gun was back home in the Nutmeg State AND could still bring home the bacon. They say the cowboys would spend 3 months wages to own a Winchester. It's easy to see why!

Unread 11-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Great hunt

30" barrel - what a find

One off these days I would like to take my 1894 (a mere 90 years old) out and get one with that
Unread 11-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

You look funny in orange...

Oh, nice rifle by the way - and a fine looking deer too.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 11-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Congrats Steve,
That is a really nice buck and an even nicer rifle. So you bow hunt as well. That is my passion, we need to talk about it some time.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 11-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,457 Times in 805 Posts

Wink

Nice deer and yes NICE gun too. I have to ask , is the deer going on the wall?(Dean, I can't help it, It's in my blood!) Looks like it should. scott
Unread 11-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Well done Tool. Whatsamatta, could'nt find a Fox lever action?
Unread 11-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

great storey afine buck and whata a rifle..it will be a long time before you get over this...fine rifle by the way and a good deer gun too...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 11-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cambria View Post
I bought an original, Winnie '73 with special order 30" barrel and set trigger, in the venerable .44/40 caliber. Just a pure "shooter" mind you,
And Alfred Eisenstaedt wasn't bad with a camera, That upside down airplane stamp is a defect, and Meryl Streep aint bad looking.

Set triggers are the single highest adder to a Winchester Lever Gun, Next comes non-standard barrel lengths. These features often trump high grades lacking those features.
Bugger.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 12-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cambria View Post
Sorry...one day late, but after a 300 yard drag, perhaps the sensors will allow me a bit of latitude???

As a lifelong CT resident and vintage gun nut, it's pretty hard to resist the allure of Winchester. While I love to bow hunt and shoot flintlock long rifles, the shotgun/rifle season never fanned my flame. That is, until, I bought an original, Winnie '73 with special order 30" barrel and set trigger, in the venerable .44/40 caliber. Just a pure "shooter" mind you, but with a good, strong bore. Fell in love after my first trip to the range. Soft shooting and damn accurate. Found that the black powder cartridges shot better than the modern cowboy action loads, which suited me just fine.

This was my fourth season trying to connect with a CT Whitetail and yesterday at 8:45 the Gods finally smiled. Buck was out at around 160 yards in a 15 knot cross wind. Flipped up the Express sight, dampened the front blade with my saliva -soaked thumb, a la Sgt. York and let the hammer drop. Ok, ok... in my freakin' dreams!! Actually the buck came right up my backside to around 15 yds, winded me, or perhaps heard my knees knocking like two claves!! He did the ol' 180 spin-around, scampered back and gave me an angling-in quartering shot at around 25-30 yds. Saw the silver slice of that front blade on his chest, and like the shot gunner I am, slapped that trigger like a baby's bottom. He tore off, tail down, and then I heard a CRASH and the woods fell silent. Waited a good five minutes for my heart to settle back in my chest and started after him.

No blood....no hair.....SQUAT, for a good 50-60 yards. Elation, turned quickly to the depths of depression. So I pressed onward. Then, out of the corner of my eye I saw the glint of something that turned out to be a blotch of fresh blood, three feet up on a sapling--then another patch on the tree next to it. I looked 5 yards ahead and there he was, piled-up about 10 feet off the trail.
Fairly respectable 8-PT, tipping the scale at 161 lbs., dressed.

I sat there for a good 10 minutes in awe, thinking that after 133 years, the gun was back home in the Nutmeg State AND could still bring home the bacon. They say the cowboys would spend 3 months wages to own a Winchester. It's easy to see why!

Very nice !

Larger then anything that's had the misfortune of walking in front of me this year !

I never have killed a deer with a vintage Winchester lever just a few with Pre 64 Model 70's . I have however killed several with Pre 1920 Marlin's in variouse calibers all shooting handloaded homecast bullets . And I gotta say it's a charge to kill one with an old classic especially when you loaded the ammo and cast the projectile !
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 12-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Set triggers are the single highest adder to a Winchester Lever Gun, Next comes non-standard barrel lengths. These features often trump high grades lacking those features.
Bugger.
While I agree with what you are saying . Factory engraving does it for me be it a Winchester , Marlin , Parker etc
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote