Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

1881, damascus steel, 10 gauge with pictures
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
John F. Collins
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 1881, damascus steel, 10 gauge with pictures

Greetings All,

I am a new member to this forum. I am not a collector per se, but more of a shooter with modern rifles and pistols. I recently came to possess a Parker Brothers shotgun.
The story goes like this. It was 1972 and my family had moved into the same house my Dad grew up in. Our neighbors, 4 doors down, were 2 sisters in their 90’s. They called my father and stated that they had found a gun and they wanted him to “get it out of the house!!” When my Dad came back to our house I could see that he had a shotgun that was a mess. It looked like lots of rust and dirt. The lifter mechanism was working and after ensuring that it was unloaded I was allowed to hold it. My dad said that it was in the rafters of the basement. This house was built in 1858 so it could have been there a long time.
The shotgun was given to a friend of my Dad’s who restored it. The result was quite amazing. My Dad had it till he died in 1994 and then my brother got it. My brother had some low power black powder rounds made for it and fired a few founds without any ill effects. Earlier this year my brother passed it on to me as it has just been sitting in a closet.
My research shows that it was made in 1881 as a grade 2, 10 gauge with Damascus steel barrels. There is a fair amount of pitted steel on the barrels and the insides while shiny appear to have minor pitting the length of the barrels. The stock appears in excellent condition with a couple of dings. The barrels look like they were blued and a screw head near the barrel lugs has been buggered up.

I took several photos and would appreciate any observations or insight. This doesn’t look like anything rare and valuable except to me.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae221/jfcisme/parker%20brothers%20shotgun/actiontop_zps44f74ce1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
John F. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

mighty nice old 4 frame ...this would be a turkey getter if she has some choke... a family heirloom for sure...hope your letter turns up some good info... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Nice family airloom you have there. I would have the barrels redone and have it put back on face.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post:
Research Letter arrived
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
John F. Collins
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Research Letter arrived

Greetings All,

I am looking for someone to restore the barrels and tighten up the barrel to receiver fit. I would like to get 3 names that I can call. Thank you.

John F. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. Collins View Post
Greetings All,

I am looking for someone to restore the barrels and tighten up the barrel to receiver fit. I would like to get 3 names that I can call. Thank you.
Nice gun. Just read the letter.... 4" of drop... wow

Reviewing the pictures, for the amount of work to get your barrels right, send them to Brad Bachelder 616.459.3636

He has a process to fill in the pits to the exterior of Damascus barrels. You will never know the pits were ever there. Call him and ask him about it.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
ddp
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

$105 dollars was a chunk of change in 1881 !!

WOW.. 11lbs 8..wouldn't want to tote it around chasing quail !! good for you & thanks for sharing.

ddp