Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns

Notices

Unread 05-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #21
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Hi Gary, Yes Sir. 17 to Georgetown. Call me and David and I will try to meet you. I'll send my phone number by PM. Are you in your motorhome or car? Thanks, Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

Tom, I am in my car, I should be done around lunch then I could leave to meet you, do I go all the way to Georgetown, or is the venue west of there ? How long will it take to get there? from here it is about 1hr to Murrels inlet that's south of MB Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #23
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Franzen View Post
There are some really nice SBT's from several makers. Wouldn't it be nice to see a bunch of Parkers, LC's, Ithica's etc, doing battle again. I'll bet a shoot like that would bring out some old guns that haven't seen the light of day in decades. I'll bet with the right people behind it we could have one! Talk about nostalgia...
There is a well known and long established Parker/LC Smith competition. I wonder if it includes SBTs?

I'm shooting my SC SBT weekly at my local Trap club. I own several Parkers, but shooting my SBT the way it was made to be shot is a joy. It is an early gun with the firing pin access on the right side of the receiver.

Parkers are neat to collect, but we should not forget that they shoot as well as they ever did.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Trap Event
Unread 07-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #24
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Trap Event

Steve, There is a trap event at the annual meeting in October. Cheers, Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

A trap event? Theres a couple more guns I gotta bring..... You guy's better look out for "Da Kid' he'll gunnin for ya at the traps....
Unread 08-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #26
Larry Mason
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have a SBT. But am wondering what guns folks use for these shoots. I have just joined a gun club to learn to shoot trap and skeet. My Beretta 687 ultrlight is too light but the guys at the club know I want to shoot my doubles. They are frowning on it. The SB is the only raised rib Parker I own. Do any of you have your guns fit, put tubes in them for other gauges, etc. I am a beginner in this and am going to the VSSA shoot at Arrowhead
in Victoria VA this weekend and watch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to shoot the Southern one of these years.
Thanks,
Larry Mason
Larry Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #27
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Larry
Welcome! The Southern SXS shoots, Sanford NC in April and Georgetown SC in October are for side by side guns only. This year at the fall shot they will allow SBT only at the trap Parker -Smith shoot off. I shoot sporting clay as often as I can and only shoot my Parker Bros double barrel guns. The "pros"
only shoot single barrel guns as there focus is simply on the score. I shoot my Parkers and enjoy the journey not just the destination. Good Luck and would love to see you at one of the events
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #28
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mason View Post
I have a SBT. But am wondering what guns folks use for these shoots. I have just joined a gun club to learn to shoot trap and skeet. My Beretta 687 ultrlight is too light but the guys at the club know I want to shoot my doubles. They are frowning on it. The SB is the only raised rib Parker I own. Do any of you have your guns fit, put tubes in them for other gauges, etc.
I too have visited trap clubs wherein the members turn their noses up at all guns that are not afixed with do-dads. The members of the club I am a member of don't care what gun anyone shoots for anything. Nice guys. I shoot a Parker SBT and the guys admire the gun. One of the best shots in the club shot an unaltered Browning Auto 5, he died and a new member bought his gun and it is treated as a fine relic.

My gun is as stock as it can be and I am shooting some pretty good scores, so I'll never do anything to it. Your Parker SBT was made when trap shooting was all the rage and guys were pretty savy about what a trap gun should be. The only thing I might consider adjusting would be the LOP if the gun doesn't fit...fit is important.

Take your time and learn to shoot your gun well. It will take a few rounds to figure out where it shoots. Watch some videos that show you where to point your gun when you call for the bird. Your Parker will have a perfect trigger and the lack of a safety is great too! Eventually the members of your club will eye your Parker with envy.

My advice, for what it's worth, is don't do anything to your Parker (except maybe LOP) and shoot it with confidence. IMO there is no better trapgun made.
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #29
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dwyer View Post
Larry
Welcome! The Southern SXS shoots, Sanford NC in April and Georgetown SC in October are for side by side guns only. This year at the fall shot they will allow SBT only at the trap Parker -Smith shoot off. I shoot sporting clay as often as I can and only shoot my Parker Bros double barrel guns. The "pros"
only shoot single barrel guns as there focus is simply on the score. I shoot my Parkers and enjoy the journey not just the destination. Good Luck and would love to see you at one of the events
David
I wish I could attend the shoot! I live in Oregon which is about as far from NC as London. However, wife and I are planning to drive out next season. I don't want to even try to carry my Parker on the plane. I lost a gun once trying to do that. It took them several days to recover it. I was fit to be tied.
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,719 Posts

Larry, guns with sub gauge tubes are no longer allowed at most vintage gun and side by side shoots. Gun competitions are classed as the gauge of the gun without tubes. Come on down to Georgetown in October and enjoy the action.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote