Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #41
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

To all those involved with the conduct of this inaugural kids shoot, my hat is off to you. I think I can appreciate just how much effort was required to pull this off. So, in no way am I trying to throw a wet blanket on past or future events.

At the time of the southern all kids are still in school. Making the trek from afar would require taking them out of school for a day or two. Doing so is a bit more difficult in today's environment than one might think. So, it seems that participants in this event will pretty much be restricted to folks living within a reasonable commute. Add to that the cost to a young family for a half hour competition and the pool of participants shrinks even further. I suspect that those participating are already indoctrinated into the pleasures of sxs shooting because some family member has exposed them to it. It seems as though we, as an organization, should be trying to reach the other 99.9 % of the youth shooting population.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 05-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #42
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
To all those involved with the conduct of this inaugural kids shoot, my hat is off to you. I think I can appreciate just how much effort was required to pull this off. So, in no way am I trying to throw a wet blanket on past or future events.

At the time of the southern all kids are still in school. Making the trek from afar would require taking them out of school for a day or two. Doing so is a bit more difficult in today's environment than one might think. So, it seems that participants in this event will pretty much be restricted to folks living within a reasonable commute. Add to that the cost to a young family for a half hour competition and the pool of participants shrinks even further. I suspect that those participating are already indoctrinated into the pleasures of sxs shooting because some family member has exposed them to it. It seems as though we, as an organization, should be trying to reach the other 99.9 % of the youth shooting population.

That is a good point and something to consider. Having kids myself, I can attest to the challenges.

School schedules vary from region to region and school to school. Also, with camps, summer schools and some year round programs, kids don't get much free time nowadays.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #43
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

My son just came with me and missed two days of school. His teacher is a cuter version of Ms. Ballbricker from Porky's Revenge, so I was fine giving him a break from her.
Unread 05-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #44
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

There would have been quite a few more youth competitors from South Carolina except our youth challenge was the same day as the South Carolina Youth Shooting Foundation Championship Shoot in Edgefield, SC at the NWTF Headquarters.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #45
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Just to be clear, I was not questioning the number of participants at this year's event. I am wondering how this wonderful event satisfies this organizations objectives of reaching out to youngsters everywhere when the pool of participants is so restricted geographically. Also, it seems a bit like preaching to the choir as these kids probably already have a mentor to guide them down the sxs path. It seems we need to address a broader spectrum of youth shooters and instigate a spark in them to try a sxs and learn of their part in shotgun history. By all means keep having this event but I am not sure it is actually fulfilling the objective discussed when we first talked about a youth program.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2018, 09:52 PM   #46
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

My grandkids - Both Master class clays shooters (one is an all American collegiate shooter) don't know how to hold a S x S gun
Unread 05-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #47
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Gary, I agree with what you said from an attraction standpoint. I also believe there is value in the youth shoot, it really did produce some excitement. To your other point I am a big believer that the biggest influence in bringing young shooters into the game is through the local youth sportsmen clubs whether they are school affiliated, 4-H or wherever. It seems to me that once young people see others shooting they are likely to attract others, and in many cases youngsters that have had no exposure to guns. I’m not sure how we effect this effort and that deserves ideas and discussion.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKinney For Your Post:
Unread 05-01-2018, 10:18 PM   #48
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Unfortunately, with all their friends shooting single-plane guns (O/U or Semi-autos), it's hard to get them into SxS, since they have been told that single plane guns are more accurate. (which is probably the truth)
Unread 05-01-2018, 11:19 PM   #49
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

When I contacted one of the directors of the South Carolina Youth Shooting Foundation and forwarded the rules to him, he was very interested and told me that he has a number of youths that shoot SXS. That is why I mentioned that there would have been more competitors at our Youth Challenge. I was never questioning the number of competitors we had. Hopefully next year the dates will not interfere.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2018, 05:53 AM   #50
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

We have a very active youth program at our gun club but talking to them about sxs's is like talking to a rock. Will keep working.