Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 05-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #31
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,279 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
It was worth the trip just to see and handel such a great gun
You got that right Rich. To me it was better than the Czar's gun. Great photos Mark, thanks.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #32
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

There is only one 34" hammer B Grade eight. There are two Czar's guns. The Engle eight is twice as rare as the Czar's gun and much prettier. I wonder who owns the Seward Webb guns today? It is my understanding that Larry Baer owned the eight at one time but sold it.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #33
Jonathan Engle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
There is only one 34" hammer B Grade eight. There are two Czar's guns. The Engle eight is twice as rare as the Czar's gun and much prettier. I wonder who owns the Seward Webb guns today? It is my understanding that Larry Baer owned the eight at one time but sold it.
Nice Mr. Murphy!

That check got in the mail for the letter Monday. I can wait to learn more!

Jonathan
Jonathan Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan Engle For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #34
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Well???
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #35
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,096 Times in 389 Posts

Perhaps Jonathan's posts on this and other forums, plus the exposure that his inherited guns got while being displayed at a couple of venues, resulted in more attention than he ever anticipated. I would imagine he was inundated with emails, questions, offers, unexpected visitors and even some threats. I hope that is not the case.
Has anyone checked the other gun websites to see if he is active there?
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #36
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

He had some amazing guns. He had several posts on the Fox forum and I have not seen him post there in awhile.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #37
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

Even though the great Parker has long time provenance in the family of Jonathan's wife, the Reuters, the gun was originally sold to E.K. Tryon in Philadelphia, a large volume sporting goods outlet. As they say, "Nothing to see here." Those interested in the Reuter Foxes should search the Fox Collectors website for some very interesting information.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #38
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

If you google Reuters Fox Gun you get all sorts of interesting hits....
Unread 11-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #39
Jonathan Engle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi all,

Im still here, alive and well. I had this gun appraised recently and let me tell you that initial investment of $235 has done well over the years! Below is some information from the Factory Letter. Enjoy!

Parker shotgun, serial number 77xxx, was sent to the World's Fair Colombian Exposition in Chicago IL on March 17,1893. According to Parker Bros. Order Book No. 34, it was a Quality B, top action hammer gun, 8-gauge. It featured Damascus steel barrels with a length of 34 inches. The price was $200.00 plus $35.00 for 8ga. barrels. According to Parker Bros. Stock Book No. 27, the stock configuration was a capped pistol grip and its specifications were: Length of Pull: 14 1/4", Drop at Heel: 2 1/2,Weight: 7 pounds and 12 ounces. The chokes cannot be determined. According to Parker Bros. Order Book No. 35, the gun was returned from the World's Fair Colombian Exposition on December 5, 1893. According to Parker Bros. Order Book No. 36, the gun was consigned on January 27, 1894 and shipped on January 29,1894 to E.K. Tryon Jr. & Co, of Philadelphia Pa. The price was $235.00.

This is what the appraisal said.....

Ultra Rare Parker Brother Gun Company B Grade 8 Top Lever Bore Hammer Double Shotgun with Original Case made for the Columbian Exposition, Circa 1893. 34” barrels engraved on the rib “Parker Bros. Makers, Meridan, Conn. Damascus Steel”. Game scene and scroll checkered fancy grade walnut pistol grip stock and forend. Engraved skeleton steel butt plate and shield shaped un-engraved gold escutcheon at the wrist. Fancy gold butt cap. All original and complete. Superb condition overall with most of the original color case hardening and brown Damascus barrel finish. Stock and forend with the original finish and excellent condition. Mint bores and perfect working order. Essentially unused and kept in dry storage for many years. Factory Letter states it was shipped on March 17, 1893 to the world’s Fair Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois (as a factory display piece) and shipped back to the factory in December 1893. It was consigned on January 27, 1894 to Tryon & Co. Philadelphia, PA. at a price of $235. The accompanying green baize lined leather luggage case is contemporary to the gun and possibly a factory original. The brass plate on the lid exterior is engraved “P. Roberts, Jr./ Philadelphia”. Interior lining very good and all original. Three piece B.G.I Co. 3-piece 8 Bore cleaning rod. Spectacular in every respect. One of possibly two “B” grade 8 bore hammer guns made.
Jonathan Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jonathan Engle For Your Post:
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #40
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Am I missing something or does 7/12 seem awfully light for such a gun?