Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-24-2021, 09:51 PM   #11
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,234 Posts

I'm a widow having lost my wife to cancer some 8 years ago. My oldest daughter and my grandson live with me and my other daughter and family live just 10 minutes from me. They would be apoplectic if I sold the house here in Plymouth, Mass and moved out of state. I'm locked in. But if it were possible to move it would be to northern Maine where I could hunt and fly fish to my heart's content. And Sophie, my setter would be in heaven.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 01-24-2021, 11:10 PM   #12
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Virginia is full.

In order to preserve hunting and fishing we are cutting off Northern Virginia as soon as possible, letting them become part of Delaware, Maryland; maybe even D.C. to make state number fifty-one as promised (or fifty-eight as Barack said he had visited). We are hoping for a border wall as soon as possible, and like NY forbidding all out of state vehicles from getting off I-95. To sweeten the deal, we will throw in Richmond, Charlottesville, and Norfolk/Virginia Beach. They can keep the like-minded Governor and his mansion on the hill with fences around it and give him a second term since he is so well loved there.

As our beloved President Jeff Davis said, "All we ask is to be left alone." (We have one more President here than y'all do. The newest one is really number 47.)
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

It might be good to consider what other factors might be important. Do you want to live in a higher population area? What about the healthcare nearby?
There are places in the "middle" of the country that have great features for an upland hunter and angler. SE Minnesota has some of the best trout fishing you'll find outside of the mountain west. There are grouse there, and flighting woodcock, but not in great numbers (but almost no grouse hunters -- it's big buck/turkey country), but you'll be a shorter drive to some of the best, and most available, grouse/woodcock hunting in the northern part of the state. Great healthcare at the Mayo Clinic...if you can get in.

During the 10-12 years you have before you retire, you might try hunting and fishing in some of these prospective places. Also, consider hunting some other upland birds and fishing for other species (I know, sounds like heresy!). There are some great places to live in low population areas, do some great upland hunting, and fish most of the year. If you are not far from an airport, your family can visit whenever...and they might be more inclined if traveling is to a place that's like a vacation site for them.

Good luck. Dream big, but consider some of the other variables (as I'm sure you are).

(BTW, We have 160 acres in addition to our house (a quite small older house for sure), and our taxes in Missouri are about $175 for the land (farm taxes are very, very low) and for all other things -- house, cars, tractor, etc -- we pay about $1700 -- a far cry from what you cite. Of course, our roads are crummy, our schools not so hot, etc. BUT our Conservation Dept. is a model for the rest of the country as it is funded (at least for now) in large part by a 1/8 percent sales tax. The population in the top two tiers of counties in Missouri is lower now than it was in 1900, and land is cheap enough that guys from out of state buy it up for hunting. So many things to consider, but you have time.)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #14
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

I appreciate all the feedback and opinions. About 7-8 years ago I was having a mental overload with work and packed up one of my dogs and drove to Minnesota. Rented a cabin in the woods by myself and grouse hunted alone. My wife was not very happy with me, calling it "selfish and foolish" to go alone. It sure did straighten out my mind and I remember, "This is what heaven must be like...birds, a cabin and endless vistas of second growth." I know it's not realistic as we need more in life, but I can always dream : )
Unread 01-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #15
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,071 Times in 418 Posts

wow, 18k a year in taxes, that you know will be used efficiently and wisely.... :-)

I don't pay but 1/4 that here in MO, and I have a nice home, and some acreage in NC Missouri with a small cabin.

My wife and I are approaching retirement soon, and this topic comes up a lot. Do we stay here or move to place that has some of the activities we love close to our front door. Fly fishing, golf, hunting. I am thinking about WY and keeping a smaller place down south somewhere for Jan-Mar living, as the older I get the more I dislike winter. :-)
Unread 01-25-2021, 11:04 AM   #16
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

This is a common question in many parts of the country. I'm a fourth generation Coloradan with deep roots steeped in the western traditions I was raised in. Colorado has experienced absolutely crazy growth from people relocating here from other states and because of this, things here are changed forever.

Just about everyone I've talked to that have been long time Coloradans all have the desire to pull up stakes and move somewhere they see as their utopia. I'm in the same boat myself especially since I retired three years ago. I'm in a situation where I am the care provider for my 90yr old mother and can't move because of this. Believe me when I say, if things were different I would be out of here. I've thought about where I would go a lot over the years and have came to the conclusion they there is no perfect place, especially as you grow older. Things are changing so fast these days with so many people on the move from one place to another that it makes it really hard to pick a place because the place you have chosen will be changing as more people discover it and move there as well. One big factor to consider is when you move into a new state or small town. You will be an outsider and it will take a long time for you to be accepted & may never be fully accepted.

I've even considered leaving the country and have looked at some of those options, but have come to the conclusion that's not realistic for me. It's really too bad that Mexico is so screwed up. I could easily live some where in Mexico where it's warm year around and has great fishing, upland bird & waterfowl hunting close by combined with a low cost of living.

I dream of these things, but the realities of life have me tied down, so these things will remain a dream for now. Good luck with you're personal dreams, but keep in mind that ten years from now everything will be different due to how fast things are changing in this country. America is on the move!!
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #17
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,315 Times in 352 Posts

Montana!!!!!
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2021, 12:52 PM   #18
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Davis View Post
Montana!!!!!
Of course! I love Yellowstone country and could surely survive there. I could spend my lonely winter days writing letters to my wife because I would surely be alone
Unread 01-25-2021, 01:19 PM   #19
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

Kodiak, Alaska, can't beat the fishing and switch from grouse to Ptarmigan.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2021, 01:56 PM   #20
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I live in Pawling, NY and the taxes are horrible. I had always thought that upon retirement, I would move to Estes Park, Colorado. I took three trips a year there hiking to altitude for greenback cutthroat trout. It's a great town and taxes are low.

But I decided to retire to Pawling, my home town. I have great hunting and fly fishing at my doorstep. You might consider Colorado. It's beautiful and there are some really nice towns. Travel to prospective locations before you retire. The town of Estes Park is beautiful and you can fish the many rivers in the area. It is also within striking distance of Wyoming and the wonderful North Platte river. Hunting is great in the North Platte area north of Casper. Many mule deer, pronghorns and elk. You don’t need a guide. Just drive out of Alcova and explore. You’ll see much game on open government land and damn few other hunters. No grouse and woodcock but the sharptails can keep you busy.

If you decide to go out there, send me a message and I can tell you some great spots for hunting and fly fishing.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote