Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #21
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,460 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd allen View Post
The Lifter is probably the least cumbersome systems for opening a shotgun. Trust me on this. On upland birds, I like to walk up on a point with hammers cocked, action open. On the flush, simply closing the action gives me two shots pronto! Anyone who has done much upland hunting with hammer guns knows about top lever/right hammer interference. Of course the fishtail top lever was one solution, the Underlifter was the other.
The move from trigger to action release is so natural, you will wonder why they ever went to a top lever.
I'm trying to picture this. I have a hard enough time with the gun CLOSED to hit a damn bird, let alone open. Then again I hunt over labs so am always catching up to them it seems. I am not the most graceful
Andrew Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sacco For Your Post:
Unread 01-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #22
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
I'm trying to picture this. I have a hard enough time with the gun CLOSED to hit a damn bird, let alone open. Then again I hunt over labs so am always catching up to them it seems. I am not the most graceful
i love hunting upland birds with hammer guns, no need IMHO to carry a gun with rebounding hammers with the action open. With a pointing dog, cock the hammers as you pass the dog, with a flusher - carry the gun barrels up and thumb on the hammers so you can cock it as you bring it to bear.