Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers Wild Game Recipes

Notices

Unread 12-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've never "hung" my game birds but pursuant to an Orvis recipe I gutted this morning's Canada Goose and hung it in the covered area out by my barn. Any advice/guidance/suggestions on hanging birds.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

It is said that when the feathers slip out easily the bird has hung long enough. Be very sure the birds stay cool... below 38 degrees or so.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Check out All About Wildfowling in America, chapter 12. The book has contributions from several authors and Malcolm Hart penned 'After the Shot' where he outlines a test done by four gourmets. The panel unanimously chose the duck and pheasant which were killed and hung for 10 days at 30º without freezing. The birds killed, dressed, and frozen immediately ranked fourth.

I'm confused about hanging at 30º without freezing; doesn't make sense, so I keep it at 35-39º.

Last night we char broiled birds with a glaze of teriyaki mixed with worcestershire and some salt. Placed a small sprig of rosemary in the cavity and turned the outside to black cinder. The trick is to keep the meat med-rare inside. I use a spray bottle of teriyaki juice and shoot 'em several times. Damn good.
Brian Stucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

I just breast mine out, rinse them in cold water then dry them with a paper towel. Slip them into a ziplock bag and stick them on the bottom shelf of refrig. for 5-7 days to age them. Before I vacuum pack them to really keep them fresh I apply a dry rub ( McCormicks makes a really good Cajun rub), then seal them up and freeze them. The key to really good game cooking is to allow the meat to reach room temp. before cooking. When cooking the goose breast I either use the broiler or the grill at high temp.(425-450) and only 3-5 min. per side depending on size, keeping the meat med-rare. Remove and allow to rest before slicing (about 5 min.). Slice across the grain no more than 1/8" thick then layer atop some fresh greens or your favorite pasta or wild rice then wash it down with a good red wine. Real simple-Real good.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post:
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
EMcILHENNY
Forum Associate

Member Info

I hang mine plucked,in a walk in cooler at 38 degrees for 4 days.Then,as I said,I cook the breasts medium rare over hot coals.I use the rest for gumbo.Sometimes I have them smoked before making the gumbo.That will make your tongue go crazy.
Edmund McIlhenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Edmund McIlhenny For Your Post:
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Mark Dube
Forum Associate

Member Info

Seems most simply breast out the geese, I am too lazy to pluck the darn things but can't bring myself to waste those huge drum-sticks.

While i often grind the leg meat & make pepperettes, the easiest recipe is to place 4 goose legs in small roast pan then arrange 6 or so chicken legs on top, salt & pepper to taste and bake/roast.

The fat from the chicken softens and somewhat mellows the goose & when you share this you can let those who don't appreciate the goose eat the chicken.

Damn, now I'm hungry
Mark Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund McIlhenny View Post
I eat mine rare.Brest out and put over a charcoal fire. Cook as if it is going to be rare steak.wonderful.
This is THE absolute best way to cook a goose breast especially if you believe the bird is young. As good as rib eye and a whole lot better for you.

I only suggest when the goose is big (and older) to slice one of the breasts in half to make two thin flank steaks. Jaccard tool them and cook them to rare as well. They may be a bit more chewy but the flavor will be fine. Marinade if you must but go lightly.

We eat a LOT of goose every year. I still have yet to get that elusive double w/ a Perker but I will.
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
EMcILHENNY
Forum Associate

Member Info

Good point about the old goose.
Edmund McIlhenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #19
Christopher Piercey
Forum Associate

Member Info

I like to grill them like a ribeye, or slice them thin, flour them, and fry them like cube steaks.
Christopher Piercey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #20
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Seems people have lost interest in goose recipes. They are so good to eat. I have a friend that hunts with a falcon. His birds love goose carcasses. I did finally get my Parker double pin with my EH. Let's work on getting a few more recipes (and Canadas).
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote