Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #31
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

The market for Parker shotguns is not what it once was say 2003, The value of your Parker shotgun whether a shooter or high grade collectable, is directly attributed to the PGCA. and publications such as the Parker Story, serialization book and others, that have educated us about our guns, will prices return to what they were a few years ago? I personally doubt it with 200 are more available through the internet, Time will tell, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 06-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #32
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Scott View Post
Show me a guy who doesn't care if he gets his money back on a Parker and I'll show you a guy I want to buy my next Parker from!
I don't, but then I don't have any for sale; sorry . My wife and kids may care at some point; then again, they don't know what I paid, so...
Unread 06-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #33
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,853 Times in 4,747 Posts

Those of us who got a good head start on today's depressed market for Parkers will still sell for a bunch more than they paid. However, guns we buy today will not appreciate and will bring down our average. Remember, profit is determined on the buy, not on the sell. Try to buy intelligently, and make sure the seller understands the market he is participating in.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #34
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,565 Times in 3,073 Posts

When we bought our house in 1981, the interest rate was 18%. Conventional wisdom at the time predicted rates would never be in the single digits again.

Live long enough and you never know what you might see.

Collecting as a way to make money is an “iffy” proposition at best. Collecting as a means of joy and fulfillment is easier to achieve.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #35
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Beautiful restock. I would guess it certainly added value to the gun. I'm much more of a shooter than a collector. Would I prefer a nicely restocked Parker with modern dimensions to say, an original gun with a well worn stock that has 3 in of drop? Absolutely. A serious collector feel differently. It all depends on the condition of the original and what you plan to do with the gun.
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2019, 06:41 AM   #36
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'm a collector and a shooter. I own Colts SAAs, 1911's, and Pythons -- they don't take up a lot of space -- so they get to be my safe queens. I don't own a Parker but I want one. My first shotgun at age 16 was a Parker, a borrowed one that was returned after several hunting seasons. Some great memories were made with that gun .... maybe I don't "want" one -- maybe I "need" one. I need one I can hunt with and also enjoy looking at. It needs to be good looking but not pristine. I'm thinking damascus because I don't own one and they are beautiful but so are the steel ones, especially if they area little worn but not banged up. The gun needs to fit me -- standard modern dimensions -- not easy to find but they are out there. I'm thinking 20 or 16 gauge. I'm mostly an upland hunter--pheasants, grouse, woodcock and quail. And I also enjoy vintage/classic gun sporting clays. I pretty well know what I want. Now it's just a matter of finding it.

The good news is that I have learned to enjoy the hunt and know that when I finally pull out my wallet the hunt is over. I'm told the market is soft -- that's good if you're a buyer. I don't need a high return but I don't want to take an uneducated loss. This group is very helpful and I appreciate everyone sharing their hard earned knowledge. Thanks!
Ronald Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald Scott For Your Post: