Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-18-2019, 12:39 PM   #11
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Sure looks better.
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I would have restocked it too. The original stock was destroyed.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #13
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

I think it is worth the value YOU put on it. Trying to determine what the next person thinks it's worth is a tough call for any person not in the gun trade. What it's worth today may not be what it's worth next year or the year after.... value goes up and down.

If it's a shooter or hunting gun, it's worth what you are willing to pay to use it and enjoy your time with it. The next hunter/shooter will probably agree with your decision too but a "collector" may not. If you want to flip it and make a quick buck and are asking this question here, you will never get a comfortable answer and I suggest you pass on it or risk getting stung.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #14
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

When you go to sell, the next person always seems to have a funny habit of putting a lower value on it than you did
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #15
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Thanks for posting photos of that GH Paul. That one turned out really good.

In regards to the OP’s question.
First off you need to confirm if it IS in fact a restock. Based on your description, it could at least just be a refinish and a re-checker.
The next consideration is the quality of the work if it is a restock, or even a refinish.

First things first. Most common guns are not actually “worth” restocking or restoring. Financially, it does not make sense since the gun will not be worth the cost of the work on the open market. It simply is the owners choice to put that money into the gun for one reason or another. And that is FINE. But they cannot expect to recoup the money in a sale later on. Of course there are exceptions, but I am speaking about common grades and gauges.

Yes, a good original gun will command more than a very beat up or improperly refinished original gun. But I would say that a quality restocked gun with all the work done properly would certainly command more than said beat up original gun. And a poorly restocked gun would command the least. Rightfully so. My opinion.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 06-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #16
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

My approach is if I like it I buy it. Even beat up guns have found their way home. I used to think they would be useful for parts but I learned how to completely disassemble and repair or replace a part here and there. My only concern is whether or not the gun is safe to shoot. Reselling has not been a factor. I sold exactly two Parker’s one a break even proposition and one tripled but hey I bought it for 90$ and a young guy just wanted the unshootable relic to hang on a wall. My problem is they keep coming home and never leave. Executor can handle that when it’s time. I do have some poor restocks and some poor original stocks but they all shoot and a dead bird didn’t care or even know how poor the wood was. Everyone is different and this approach has been a perfect fit for me in my pursuit of happiness and long tailed roosters. Cheers Jack
Unread 06-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #17
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you all for your thoughtful answers. Most seem to feel it's very subjective and each gun should be considered as an individual. I'm still left wondering "what is this gun worth"?

What do you guys think about the way the Blue Book of Gun Values uses the PPGS (Photo Percentage Grading System)? The author and publisher says, " Condition factors pictured (indicated by PPGS-o-meters), unless otherwise noted, refer to the percentage of a gun's remaining finish(es), include blue, case colors, nickle, or another type of original finish remaining on the frame/receiver. On older guns, describing the receiver/frame finish is absolutely critical to ascertain an accurate grade, which will determine the correct value. Additional percentages of condition may be used to describe other specific parts of the gun (i.e. barrel, wood finish, plating, magazine tube, etc.) ... Being able to spot original condition has never been more important, especially when prices get into four, five, and six figures. Remember, the price is wrong if the condition isn't right!"

Then when describing a refinished Parker DHE hammerless SxS he says after an explanation on p 97: "If this gun was all original, and in 95% condition overall, its value would be $11,500-$13,500 range (and easy to sell!). This non-original DHE in this type of refinished condition would probably be valued in the $3,250-$4,000 range, or less than half of an original.

So he is deducting 50% for the refinish. Sound right to you guys?
Ronald Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #18
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Hmmm. I bought a DHE (90%?) off this site about 18 months ago for under $5K, and was pleased with my purchase. I would also suggest that prices have softened since then
Unread 06-19-2019, 12:24 AM   #19
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Scott View Post
Thank you all for your thoughtful answers. Most seem to feel it's very subjective and each gun should be considered as an individual. I'm still left wondering "what is this gun worth"?

What do you guys think about the way the Blue Book of Gun Values uses the PPGS (Photo Percentage Grading System)? The author and publisher says, " Condition factors pictured (indicated by PPGS-o-meters)....

Then when describing a refinished Parker DHE hammerless SxS he says after an explanation on p 97: "If this gun was all original, and in 95% condition overall, its value would be $11,500-$13,500 range (and easy to sell!). This non-original DHE in this type of refinished condition would probably be valued in the $3,250-$4,000 range, or less than half of an original.

So he is deducting 50% for the refinish. Sound right to you guys?
Ron,

There is a person that did extensive research on English gun sales. He developed a system to take into account the Original Quality, Current Condition, and Brand Value. Ignoring Brand Value, his findings were Current Condition impacts price quite a bit. A refinished gun takes a big hit. Approximately 45-55%. A refinished gun reduces the pool of potential buyers.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 06-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #20
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

When looking at Parkers in the blue book. I pretty much ignore the prices they have listed simply because they are not up date with the current market. The book can be of use to a degree for determining values for insurance purposes.

The restoration/refinished thing is a touchy subject. Generally speaking a fairly high condition all original finishes gun will bring more than a refinished gun. With that said; There's one heck of a lot of re-done guns that are well worth the money & IMO should bring more money than a similar gun with the finishes worn off or have alterations & defects to the wood. If you want proof of this, try getting a Parker refinished or restored by one of the top name go to Parker gunsmiths right now, they all have a back log of guy's wanting their guns restored/re-finished.

We Americans are really hung up on originality & are constantly chasing the unicorn high condition untouched, unused, pristine gun. There's many levels of collectors/gun lovers. There's the true collector which collects the best of the best & is constantly looking to find that next gem. Then there's the collector/shooter/hunter who has several guns in many forms of condition, some original, some refinished, but overall nice & in useable condition. Then there's the guys that simply want a Parker in good mechanical condition that intends on using it rather than worrying about the finishes on it.

My suggestion is first decide which category you fall in the closest and then watch the internet including gun broker to get a baseline on what the current market is for the type of gun your looking at. Then when you find the right gun you'll know if your comfortable with the asking price. Keep in mind that most of the advertised guns "especially with some dealers" are priced on the high side trying to find that one buyer who just has to have that gun.

IMO; Unless a gun is in extremely high condition or has a unique provenance you shouldn't be looking at it as an investment in the current market with the aging baby boomers. Buy the gun because you like it & it makes you happy keeping in mind that you may not get back what you paid for it down the road. Buy it, enjoy it & use it, life is short, live it up!!!
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post: