Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Engraving & Engravers

Notices

Unread 04-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #21
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom tutwiler View Post
The other good thing about taking a long time is one has to write checks pretty far apart. I gave Gournet a deposit to get into his pipeline when I knew he wasn't going to see the gun for at least a year. In summary patience is is a virtue on these custom guns because these folks are true craftsmen and the really good ones are backed up always.
I kind of planned on this since I don't really have the funds to have everything done all at once.. If by the end of this year I've located a suitable VH or VHE and had the stock work started and maybe the metal surfaces prepared for engraving, then I'd be happy.

Also I've never had a custom stock fitted before so I don't even know my dimensions, so I'll have to get that done.. I've just always adjusted to whatever gun I was shooting.
Kirk Potter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #22
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
If you have a plan and stick to it the time frame can be reduced dramatically. Gunner's gun from start to finish took a year.
That's rather amazing for sure. It took me more then a year just to get in the que due to backlog of the craftsmen involved. In the case of the engravers, once they started on the projects, the turnaround was within 3 or 4 months.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #23
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Bob Strosin did the engraving and I worked things around his schedule as far as stock work and metal prep went. Once he started everything moved quickly. I had the blank (this came from Cecil Fredi) picked out ahead of time. One smith did the metal prep and the stock work.

I have had several custom rifles built and the turn around time has been basically the same. I'm amazed at some of the times people tell me it takes to get a custom project done.
Unread 04-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #24
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

Rich, You are right, if you are in a hurry you do not want to do a custom gun, The time for Matties gun was almost two years, worth the wait in my estimation, course it was a little more complex since it started life as a O grade 16 gauge hammer gun with twist barrels, now it has Vulcan steel barrels with the correct third hook. A steel barreled 16gauge hammer gun was what I was after. of course with some embellishments added. I would like to add a 40 cal sharps business gun one day. Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #25
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gary please enlighten me as to what a Sharps Business gun would be.

I think my next custom project will be a Fox small bore or another rifle in 6.5X55, the old Swede is still an excellent choice.
Unread 04-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #26
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

Gary, who did your third hook job?
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #27
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bill, Chris Dawe did the work and the stock work on Matties Gun
Unread 04-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #28
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Rich, Sharps business rifle was a no frills version of the 1874 sporting rifle, shorter round barrel and open sites, I would prefer 40 cal. This would be the platform to start from if you could find it! Gary
Unread 08-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #29
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Well Rich I have got to stop buying all these guns! Just bought a JD Schimdt over and under with side hammers and jones underlever in 45-70 made around 1915 or so should get it today or tomorrow, It is a back action with lots of engraving, Jim found the gun for me should be fun to shoot, Gary
Unread 08-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #30
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

It sounds like it would be a blast to shoot. I have a Heym .500 B.P.E. rifle with hammers and a Jones under lever. It's a back action and fun to shoot and amazingly accurate for an iron sighted rifle. I hope to take a deer with it.

I have a line on a couple of Parker small bore but the jewel in waiting is a 16ga CHE that's got probably 80% case color, 30 inch barrels, PG. SPF. A really nice gun.

My daughter is getting married the end of September and that's not inexpensive