Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker Skeet Guns
Unread 04-24-2014, 01:42 AM   #1
Jon Weber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Parker Skeet Guns

A friend and I were discussing the nuances and such about Parker skeet guns. It seems we don't know much about them other than they are probably pretty darned good skeet "shooters." Doesn't seem to be much he could find in his Parker books or sources either.

Can anyone out there give a rundown on these guns? Or maybe there is some info already on this forum, etc.?

Were there graded skeet guns other than V? What denoted a Skeet Gun? Percentage? ?????

Sure would appreciate some scholarly help and education.
Thanks,
Jon
Jon Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Weber View Post
A friend and I were discussing the nuances and such about Parker skeet guns. It seems we don't know much about them other than they are probably pretty darned good skeet "shooters." Doesn't seem to be much he could find in his Parker books or sources either.

Can anyone out there give a rundown on these guns? Or maybe there is some info already on this forum, etc.?

Were there graded skeet guns other than V? What denoted a Skeet Gun? Percentage? ?????

Sure would appreciate some scholarly help and education.
Thanks,
Jon
Parker Skeet Gun are great guns for skeet, sporting clays and upland hunting. Parker's skeet guns from the 1930's have some unique features. Most of them will have 26" barrels, double ivory beads, BTFE, straight grip, checked butt (V & G grade), single selective trigger, with ejectors. I am aware a few factory P/G stocked skeet guns exist.

The barrel flats will be stamped "Skeet In" and "Skeet Out", a skeet gun will also be the reverse of normal choking for a double with the tighter barrel (Skeet Out) on the right and the more open barrel "Skeet In" on the left. I believe that is because the first shot in skeet is a high house going away from post 1. The safety is usually non automatic on a skeet gun.

I think most of them were built on the anticipation of a sale rather than ordered (mine sat in the Parker warehouse for a year before it sold during the Depression), most seem to be V grade. I have a 12ga G and I have seen a D grade for sale. Larry DelGrego & Son produced a lot (possibly more than the number of originals) of Skeet gun upgrades including stamping the barrel flats "Skeet In" and "Skeet Out".

PS. There is a one of the kind, prototype, Trojan grade Skeet gun in the Remington Arms museum in Ilion NY.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 04-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,246 Posts

Brian posted images recently
http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=132889

Maybe this fella borrowed it

Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

I think it is amazing that the one of a kind Trojan Skeet Gun was featured on the cover of Outdoor Life. I do not think it was an accident but rather a coordinated early marketing effort in advance of the gun being released for sale, which it never was.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,246 Posts

Likely Pete. There seems to have been some...uh...coordination (collusion) of marketing between the makers and magazines.
A two-page spread appeared in the Feb. 1926 issues of National Sportsman and Hunting and Fishing, announcing “A New Sport for Shotgun Shooters” and a $100 prize for the best name for the new shooting game. The May 1926 issues announced the winner, Mrs. Gertrude Hurbutt of Dayton, Montana, and the new name "Skeet" from an old Scandinavian word for shoot. Remarkably, the Ithaca NID Skeet Special was advertised in the July 1926 National Sportsman, only 2 months after the game was named! Could the Ithaca Gun Co. have been tipped off in advance of the announcement in order to accelerate production of a designated skeet gun?
And why Ithaca? The L.C. Smith "Skeet Upland Special" wasn't introduced until 1928.
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 04-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

While Ithaca advertised making guns for skeet as early as July 1926, they didn't actually catalogue a "Skeet Gun" until 1935.

As usual with Parker guns, everything was to the customers order. The Wah King Thom A1-Special Skeet Gun featured in the Larry Baer Parker books has a slim forearm.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote