Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

New Parker owner
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Mark Straube
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Parker owner

Good Morning Everyone,

Well, I purchased my first Parker. A 1930 DH in 12 gauge, 32in brl, double triggers and what looks like ivory sighting beads. Serial # 234751 and it came with a leg of Mutton case pat'd date of Dec. 12, 07. I thought it was on a #1 frame but it's actually on a #2 frame (measures 1 and 1/8 in. between firing pins). The heavily stamped 1 was part of the #12 (for gauge?) with the 2 behind it lightly stuck and covered with dryed grease. Older eyes and dim light just don't mix. Today I have purchased a PGCA membership and will send for a reserch letter. What I do know, based on Family memory, is the original owner was Charles Hayden who passed this beautiful Parker down to his nephew Reginald Hayden Hill. It then went to Reginalds son Ken Hill and to his son (and my good friend) Scott Hill. Neither Ken nor Scott were hunters and the Parker spent many years in a closet. It was shot on occassion. The top lever was stuck in place but a little spray with breakfree loosened it up so the barrels could be attached. The splinter foreend will not quite fit into place. I think a little more cleaning with fix this. Is there a Gunsmith or Smiths in Wisconsin that you would recommend if the action would require cleaning or repair? Any info based on the serial# that you could provide while I await my letter would be appreciated. I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how with my camera. Have a great weekend Ladies and Gentlemen.
-Mark
Mark Straube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Straube For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

Mark, Congratulations on your new(Old) Parker! And welcome to the PGCA! There are some very knowledgeable members in the Wisconsin and Michigan areas who I am sure can help you out with a good smith.. Enjoy!
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Sowega 01
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mark,

According to the serialization book your gun has ejectors. If the gun was dry fired before the forearm was removed the ejectors in the forearm need to be re-cocked which can be done by using a wood dowel. Do not try to force the forearm on . I know we have had members post pictures about this but I can't remember where. Hope this helps. #234751 is listed as T13 H 2 B 12 32. This is a hammerless 12 gauge DHE with 32" Titanic Steel barrels with ball grip and ejectors.

Asa Kelley
Asa Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Asa Kelley For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,529 Times in 822 Posts

wow, sounds like a nice gun need to post pics please
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Mark Straube
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you very much for the information Kelley. We did not realize it had ejectors. The ball grip buttstock must have been replaced at some point prior to the mid 1950's. It now has a pistol grip with the Parker Bros. cap and a Hawkins pad. Wood to metal fit is flawless. It is a very nice Circssian walnut and we thought it had just been refinished at some point in the past because the splinter forend is quite a bit darker (patina) and therefore difficult to see any of the grain in the foreend. Overall it's a very beautiful Parker.

-Mark
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Mark Straube
Forum Associate

Member Info

What does the code T13 H mean? I think I figured out the rest, 2= frame sz, B for ball grip, 12 for gauge and 32 for barrel length. Thanks again.

-Mark
Unread 02-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,946 Times in 4,792 Posts

2 is not the frame size. 2 in the Serialization Book is a code number for ejectors. TI means Titanic Steel barrels. 3 means Grade 3, which is the D Grade. H is hammerless. When you post pictures, send a picture of the inside of the forend and we will explain how to get the forend on the gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Mark Straube
Forum Associate

Member Info

I will do this and appreciate your help. Thank you.

-Mark
Unread 02-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,652 Times in 997 Posts

Mosinee, Wisconsin based doublegun gunsmith Mark Beasland is familiar and experienced with Parkers. Contact info can be obtained through his website:

www.mbabllc.com

I know he is working a gun show in the Milwaukee area this weekend.
Parker DHE
Unread 02-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
Mark Straube
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker DHE

I have scanned about a dozen pictures of my Parker DHE into my computer. I will try to attach them to this message. I havn't done this before so we will see what happens. Not having any luck. Any suggestions as to how do I load pictures from my computer to this sight? Thank you.

-Mark