Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

8ga fiber wad
Unread 01-20-2021, 02:34 AM   #1
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Default 8ga fiber wad

Wondering if any of the 8 gauge guys seen these ? I read the guys using them are doing so because they are easier on the old fixed chokes and widely variable bores sizes than the industrial wads .

https://www.claygame.co.uk/8ga-fibre-shot-cups-pd77

I find it kind of ironic 100 years ago shotshells were technically bio degradable , brass hull and fiberwards seems things are coming full circle on the other side of the pond .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #2
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,149 Times in 622 Posts

Milton, I don't have an 8 gauge(yet...), but I have been very interested in these fiber shot cups. I would like to try them in brass shells as well as in a muzzleloader(in several gauges).

I would think those wads would really help the pattern and extend the range in muzzleloaders, which usually have a a cylinder choke. I have a few percussion sxs guns and some flintlock fowlers I should us more often.

I have only seen them listed in England. I know that there is a trend to move away from plastic wads. I need to order some(if I can) and give them a try.
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #3
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Oliver View Post
Milton, I don't have an 8 gauge(yet...), but I have been very interested in these fiber shot cups. I would like to try them in brass shells as well as in a muzzleloader(in several gauges).

I would think those wads would really help the pattern and extend the range in muzzleloaders, which usually have a a cylinder choke. I have a few percussion sxs guns and some flintlock fowlers I should us more often.

I have only seen them listed in England. I know that there is a trend to move away from plastic wads. I need to order some(if I can) and give them a try.
I think we can order wads and such from over there just no primers of course .
I would like to pickup a 8 gauge but I think its best to wait . I seen on a wildfowling forum alot of them said what I was thinking . With the new laws going into effect the 8 bores are going to be too expensive for reloading or too much of a hassle to carry afield so the market might bottom out on them . I think as they get older they figure why carry a 8 when they can carry a 20 ga loaded with tss .

Their resizing die looks interesting im pretty sure Ive seen this on the forum before .
https://www.claygame.co.uk/8ga-case-resizing-die-pd158
Unread 01-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
WHO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,516 Times in 249 Posts

It appears they only ship to the UK, according to their website. Too bad, I would of liked to try the shot cups.
Wayne Owens is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #5
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Owens View Post
It appears they only ship to the UK, according to their website. Too bad, I would of liked to try the shot cups.
I see that now , doesnt make much sense wads are considered a hazardous item but nothing to do about that .

Something ive been wondering about is making your own shotcups using fiberwads like the circlefly ones with a mylar wrap glued around them .
Unread 01-20-2021, 10:27 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

I emailed these guys several months ago I wanted to order 500-1000 of their once fired Winchester 8 gauge hulls and they emailed me back with something about they weren’t allowed to ship shotgun hulls out of the UK . Now it’s a moot point as I have about 1000 8 gauge hulls .
Unread 01-21-2021, 12:50 AM   #7
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,173 Times in 268 Posts

If you're just looking for 1/2 inch thick fiber wads, check out Circle Fly Wads in PA. He has them in 8 gauge and just about every other gauge known to man.

Craig Smith is great to work with.

https://circlefly.com/
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

Digging through my files, I found a Circle Fly receipt for 8 gauge wads, dated 1970. I bought my first 8 gauge gun in 1969, the week I got out of the Army. I can't imagine where the money came from. My gross monthly pay for E-4 was $214.00. That was before tax deductions.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #9
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,149 Times in 622 Posts

I use the traditional circle fly wads all the time as well. Though I was excited at the chance to try this fiber shot cup as I think it would have batter patterns in brass shells and muzzleloaders. I can't bring my self to use a plastic wad in a muzzleloader, even though I know people do it. This fiber shot cup seems to be a good way to improve performance, but still be somewhat traditional.

It has the side bonus of being biodegradable which is a big deal and Europe and perhaps becoming the trend here. I like that too if they work well.

I was able to buy empty brass pinfire shells from France recently. They came with traditional fiber wads too. I just sent the retailer an email asking if there was a way to send these shot cups to the US. Maybe instead of sending direct to me they could send them to a distributor. I'll let you know what I find out.
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2021, 11:08 AM   #10
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote, Jay Oliver: "I was able to buy empty brass pinfire shells from France recently. They came with traditional fiber wads too."

Recently I made up some 16 gauge pinfire cases from modern Remington plastic cases. Not difficult but very time consuming. I have a few of the old CBC brass cases that I may convert but they are not very high quality and I fear the base may not stand up to repeated removal and replacement of the cap holder.

Now to the point: I'm unlikely to shoot the gun very much so I would love to buy a hundred or so new cases so I don't have to repeat the above process. Anyone here have some to sell or know where I can buy some?