Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 04-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #21
Robert Brooks
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have a Husky 16 gauge Lyx and it is one fine gun! Bobby
Robert Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Brooks For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2021, 07:55 PM   #22
bob lyons
PGCA Member

Member Info

Joe
I have a few English guns that are not top name guns; Wc scott, greener, Gibbs however if you wanted something that may hold its value in a 5k range I would go for a Parker reproduction as think think they will continue to increase in value. They also will handle steel shot and heavy loads. Most of the guys here are not to excited about the 20 gauge so it may be time to buy one. I have one 20 but I use my 28 mostly.
Most of the English and foreign guns I have had/ handled are not stocked to fit me and finding one that is can be difficult and if you need to shoot steel shot or heavy loads they are not ideal.
All that said I have a 28 wc Scott that I ordered years ago ( with my dimensions) and it is my go to bird gun, under 6 lbs. They also would fit into your price range I believe if you can find one on the secondary market with in your budget.
bob lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob lyons For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2021, 08:05 PM   #23
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,460 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris dawe View Post
Can't beat the early Husqvarna guns the 310 series and 201 sidelocks are fantastic guns,the actions were based on Sauer guns and tweaked by Husqvarna but remember like most- earlier made the better
What do you define as "earlier"? What years are the best? A cursory search turned up mostly guns from the mid 50's for little money.
Unread 04-02-2021, 08:52 AM   #24
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Parker Repro vs CSMC RBL.....

Those are two I am seriously considering. And flip flop between quite a bit. Does anyone own both of these guns, what are your thoughts between the two?

Thanks for all the input, learning alot.
Unread 04-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #25
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

I own both in 20 ga. The RBL is a nice, well made gun. It shoots well for me but I had to alter the stock pitch to make it do so. It is lighter than my repros and it kicks more so I only shoot 3/4 oz loads when shooting targets. It has functioned flawlessly and has the benefit of screw in chokes.

I absolutely love my Parker repros as they are stocked just right for me and those I have are on the heavy side which I much prefer. Also, I have broken 2 ejector hammers which are expensive and a pain to get repaired.

All that said,if I hd to choose between the two I'd take my repros any day over the RBL. Others, I am sure would say just the opposite.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 04-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #26
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,129 Posts

I own an H&H Royal Sidelock Ejector from back in the days when God allowed me to have money.
I'm a big Parker guy, so have always kinda avoided getting into comparisons. That said. They call them "British Bests" for a reason.
Mine is a 12 bore with 30" BBLs, weighs in at 6lbs 5 oz. Balances, and swings like a wand, and workmanship is beyond reproach! The engraving is absolutely flawless!
Mine was built in 1900, so is now 121 years old. Now the down side:
Broke an action spring, so had to send it off to a gunsmith for replacement. (Just the right side sidelock action)
Insured the sidelock for 3500.00, then started researching what the replacement cost for a sidelock would be, if the shipping monkeys somehow lost the package. OMG!
Owning expensive guns is not just about purchase price.
Thankfully, all went well. Action is back, gun is back together, ready for another season.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 04-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #27
oskar
Forum Associate

Member Info

Husqvarna shotguns look for the ones with Greener crossbolts.

Merkels need to have the reinforced frame, you can find Sauers and Simsons built on Merkel style frames.

Bernardelli's are quite nice, I shoot a Elos 12ga with 25" barrels that comes in a 5 lb 15 oz and is pleasure to carry and lightning fast at the flush.

French guns can be very interesting, Darnes can be nice I have a 28+-" barreled 12ga that comes in just under 6 lbs but the triggers can be heavy. Manufrance Ideals are beautiful guns but the safety is tough to get used to, their Robusts are nice also and have conventional safeties.

I have a pair of FEG's that are pretty nice, rock solid just not show pieces, the ejectors are in the forend and removeable with the push of a button.

Don't be afraid of 16's they are nearly as svelte as a 20 and much easier to find. I only have a couple of 20's left, my wifes sxs skeet gun and a CZ Bobwhite that I keep around for clubs that require steel shot and dove hunts that require steel.
Erich Bretschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
cousins..
Unread 04-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #28
Joe D.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default cousins..

Very similar guns. The Sauer is a Model 1 (1906), I am told. The Husqvarna is a Model 310 AN- (nickel steel 1918). The engraving pattern is very similar despite the difference in age of the two. The Husqvarna has the Greener crossbolt but is very similar, otherwise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cousins sauer husqvarna 002.jpg (474.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cousins sauer husqvarna 005.jpg (484.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg cousins sauer husqvarna 007.jpg (481.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg cousins sauer husqvarna 008.jpg (474.7 KB, 1 views)
Joe Dreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe Dreisch For Your Post:
Unread 04-26-2021, 09:11 AM   #29
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

I ended up buying a F.A.I.R. Iside 20ga last week. Should be here by end of week I hope....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic3.jpg (178.1 KB, 1 views)
Unread 04-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #30
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,242 Times in 2,416 Posts

I have a 20ga hammer gun by a little known maker by the name of William Ford. It sports 30" damacus barrels and is a delight to shoot. I can't really date the gun other than it is a Birmingham back action I believe.