Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-25-2021, 12:24 AM   #11
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Jolliff View Post
To get nice crimps for those 1/2 ounce loads using the CB 3/4 ounce pink wads (CB0175-12), I put a card board wad in the bottom before adding the shot. Those wads are 0.140" thick, 20 gauge diameter size. I get them from Craig Smith, Circle Fly wads in PA. They cost about a penny apiece purchased in quantity; ie 5,000.

Craig often goes to Ernie's shoot in June. Let him know and he will hand deliver them.

I use 14 grains of Alliant Extra Light powder and have had Tom Armbrust test them. Pressure around 5500 psi and the speed is around 1325 fps. Been loading them for 6 years.

Yep, that standard rule applies: put the shot in the right place.
Bill: Are these 2.5" or 2 3/4" shells ?

Thanks in advance
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2021, 04:19 AM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Me loading light loads started with me wanting to get rid of odds and ends I acquired when buying out a couple folks . But I gotta say the small payload wads and a couple powders I’d not normally buy worked better than I anticipated . So instead of getting rid of stuff it turned into me buying more of what I was initially trying to use up ! This 7/8 ounce load pushed with I think it was 18-19 grains of American Select was very nice in the Superposed 12 . This gun still is original with a Browning hard buttplate and it was still no recoil which kinda surprised me . I still like 1 and 1 1/8 ounce loads but these lighter payload jobs I’m starting to like as well .
Unread 03-25-2021, 08:20 AM   #13
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,173 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hering View Post
Bill: Are these 2.5" or 2 3/4" shells ?

Thanks in advance
Bruce,

The info above are for 2 3/4" hulls.

I also load 12 gauge using RST 2 1/2" hulls with 1/2 ounce of shot. For those, I use the CB6100-12 neon green wad, same card wad and same powder load: 14 grains of XL. Speed a little lower tho.

And Daryl, if you'd like to try a few of those loads, I'll send you some of those Circle Fly card wads. Bruce too.

Also Daryl, I load using RST 20 gauge 2 1/2" hulls using Alliant 20/28 powder in 1/2 ounce in that lovely and svelte 20 gauge Sterlingworth you sold me at Ernie's a couple years ago. Rest assured, she has a good home. And she's still just as pretty.
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #14
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

I'm waiting on some BP wads then have enough to start loading shot shells in 12g. But darned when I find a recipe for powder or primers or hulls I have, I don't or can't get the wad for the recipe. I'm so wad confused, I guess you could say I'm wadded out. I have the wad substitution chart from Hogdon, but still there are gaps. Now I'm reading about cheerio and meat tray spacers. Good grief I have a lot to learn. I would love to load some light #9 loads for my VH 12g for skeet to give her a whirl (2 1/2")
Unread 03-25-2021, 11:39 AM   #15
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,379 Posts

Thanks for offer Bill, but you were the friend I mentioned who gave me the 1/2oz. loads. I really liked them and saw no difference between them and my 3/4oz. loads. But when I load 12ga.,which is not so often, I load on a 9000H hydraulic. Adding the filler wad, which I have, slows the progress down.

What I will eventually get around to is prepping the wads by Elmer's gluing a filler wad in each wad in a bag of wads so all I have to do is grab a wad and insert.

Yes she is a pretty one and there is a bit of sellers remorse on that sale.
Unread 03-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #16
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,667 Times in 2,628 Posts

Daniel, if you send me 5 or 6 flats of 3/4 and 7/8 oz shells, I'll be happy to try them. I'll even send you back the empties.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Wads
Unread 03-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #17
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Wads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
I'm waiting on some BP wads then have enough to start loading shot shells in 12g. But darned when I find a recipe for powder or primers or hulls I have, I don't or can't get the wad for the recipe. I'm so wad confused, I guess you could say I'm wadded out. I have the wad substitution chart from Hogdon, but still there are gaps. Now I'm reading about cheerio and meat tray spacers. Good grief I have a lot to learn. I would love to load some light #9 loads for my VH 12g for skeet to give her a whirl (2 1/2")
Andy, all of my Parkers are 12 gauge. I have been using a Clay Buster CB4100b wad which is for a 1oz. or 7/8 oz. of shot. I have used this wad with Red Dot, Clay Dot, Clays, and Universal powders. All have very little recoil and make it a joy to shoot. The last two years or so I have been loading 17.5 grains of Clay Dot, 7/8 of shot and win. 209 primer. On the Alliant site this load goes about 1150 fps. Only use one size shot, 7 1/2, since I make my own shot.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #18
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

Mike you are very kind in offering to field test my light loads. Unfortunately i do not allow them out of New England to an area which uses the term mudbat.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2021, 05:10 PM   #19
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
Mike you are very kind in offering to field test my light loads. Unfortunately i do not allow them out of New England to an area which uses the term mudbat.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! Touche!! How about bogsucker? Logcock? All I say is at least we have grouse, partridges are dumber than a box of wet hammers!!

Mudbat is perfect, works perfectly with the videos of the birds doing their dance to "Tequila". We even adapted a song from the B52s. Instead of "Love Shack" you use "Mud Bat" and a host of other changed lyrics.

Improvise and adapt.

"I got me a Parker it's a 30 inch 20, so come on and bring your shot shell money! For the mud bat it's a little old bird that we can hunt togetheeeerrrr. Mud bat baaaabyyyyy. Mud bat baby!!

Muds little bat, that's where it's at. Muds little bat, that's where it's at. Mud bat baby!!"
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #20
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
Felt, cotton, wool and fiber filler wads do the trick. Thin overshot cards too if you need to cover the shot.