Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 03-20-2021, 06:35 PM   #11
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
I personally do not think that many would care. But I am sure some would.
Personally, I feel that the quality of the checkering on DHE repros is one of their poorest executed features. Anything that can be done to improve it some is not really a bad thing.
Glad to see Brian say that. I’ve never personally seen a repro that had checkering to Parker standards. True, my experience with them is somewhat limited. But I did buy one and was amazed at how poor the checkering was. There were runovers and crooked lines to the extent that I couldn’t fix them. I sanded off the checkering and did it right along with mullered borders. I finished the stock in oil and redid the barrels using the slow rust blue process.

I later sold the gun because I thought it was too heavy for a 20 bore.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2021, 06:57 PM   #12
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,539 Times in 4,621 Posts

The checkering on the B grades and A1s is of fine quality. And... they even have mullered borders.
Unread 03-20-2021, 07:22 PM   #13
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

In my humble opinion, the D grade repos without special features are as collectible as the Yugo autos of the 80s. Personally, anything stamped Made in Japan so vividly is not collectible as a classic double. They might be utilitarian and fill a void in the 28 ga area but still a repro if the original in looks only. That’s just my opinion and not meant to insult anyone here.
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #14
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim DiSpagno View Post
In my humble opinion, the D grade repos without special features are as collectible as the Yugo autos of the 80s. Personally, anything stamped Made in Japan so vividly is not collectible as a classic double. They might be utilitarian and fill a void in the 28 ga area but still a repro if the original in looks only. That’s just my opinion and not meant to insult anyone here.
Well, you just did insult many Parker Reproduction collectors.

I don't need to ask about your opinion that "Personally, anything stamped Made in Japan so vividly is not collectible as a classic double." (nevermind that here in the USA the country the product originated from is an importation requirement), as that speaks for itself and may even be considered a xenophobic comment.

But, I am interested in your humble opinion that "the D grade repos without special features are as collectible as the Yugo autos of the 80s." Just exactly what special features available on D-Grade Repros would you consider as having a chance at being collectible? There may be some collectors of Parker Reproductions that might want to add some examples with those special features to their collection.

Can't we all in the Parker community just get along without denigrating or insulting one particular genre of Parker collecting? We're all in this together, aren't we?
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #15
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

I was not trying to insult anyone but they are not now and never have been a favorite of mine and although I’ve had numerous opportunities to own one I’ve never had the desire. In 2004i was give a 28 ga D repro and sold it in 3 day as it did nothing for me. But that’s just me. Sorry
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #16
PML
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,568 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Hoop View Post
An example 28ga sold earlier this year that had mullard boarders, actual cased metal, and an oil finish, the ejector stop plate had been fixed, it brought about $4400. Now all those things shouldn’t take away from it in my view. I see them as improvements, and in truth I can’t recall why I didn’t buy it.

Oil finish on the wood, updated checkering, and real case colors. I think everything done to this gun made it better. Both sets of barrels split the wedge in the dolls head and got the Bachelder treatment to the lug. Again, I think this made the gun better. I believe it is now used daily to shoot ducks in Texas.

PML
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4114.JPG (172.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4115.JPG (189.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4116.JPG (160.1 KB, 2 views)
Patrick Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick Lien For Your Post:
Unread 03-26-2021, 09:37 AM   #17
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice work, I personally like it much better. I recall seeing one early on that had the wood reshaped a little and oil finished. New case would help. Just my opinion but the repro 28's are affordable and available but continue to be going up. I once asked if I should consider selling some originals Parkers to buy a 410/28 repro set and I got a stern talking to from a very reputable dealer, which I did appreciate. Never hurts to listen to some of our members who know Parkers.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #18
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,984 Times in 565 Posts

Here is one that Brian Dudley did for me.
Bob Jurewicz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5230096.jpg (542.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P5230100.jpg (522.4 KB, 4 views)
Bob Jurewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Jurewicz For Your Post: