Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 03-14-2021, 12:38 PM   #21
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Dan, I agree with Tom too - I just disagreed with his delivery. But who am I ? Everyone is entitled to his opinion and his own way of expressing it.

My apologies to Tom and to anyone who I offended in responding the way I did.

No need for an apology. I did come across pretty hard. I rarely get hot and most of my friends have never seen me get mad. But there are two things that I am passsionate about, wounding game through not caring and abusing dogs. I respond to both pretty aggressively if I see it.

My comments were not aimed at you Dean, but in general.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 03-14-2021, 12:51 PM   #22
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
I must agree with Mr. Flanigan in 60 years of hunting and shooting i have seen the same thing over and over with technology substituting for the slow and hard way. Modern bowhunting is probably the best example, there are still the longbow and recurve bow hunters and they probably hunt birds with those obsolete, antique side by sides.
Dan, I agree with you about modern bowhunting. When I was working, I stopped bowhunting about 30 years ago because it interferred with my bird shooting. I got back into it this year since I am now retired. I didn't use my Bear recurve bow. I went to a compound bow because I am 71 years old and I can shoot a compound better than I can a recurve. For me its all about not wounding game. I limit my shots to thrity yards where I am absolutely consistent. Also my upper muscles are not what they used to be and I can hold for a much longer time making my shots more consistent than with a recurve.

But taking a deer with a compound is not the same as taking them with recurve. We had to do an awful lot of time practicing back in the day. Taking a deer wth a recurve is real bowhinting while taking a deer with a compound is semi-bowhunting, in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 03-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #23
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,389 Times in 595 Posts

Tom we are a technology society and not a bad thing. I am the same on the draw of a compound, it helps this aging skeleton. Wounding is to be avoided no matter what but it will happen. That was the most extreme example i could think of at the time.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 03-14-2021, 01:44 PM   #24
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
Tom we are a technology society and not a bad thing. I am the same on the draw of a compound, it helps this aging skeleton. Wounding is to be avoided no matter what but it will happen. That was the most extreme example i could think of at the time.
Wounding is a major issue for me and is the main reason for going with a compound. I don't trust myself to get good enough to shoot a recurve anymore. If it wasn't for the compound bow, I would have never got back into bowhunting. I always scoffed at compound bows an claimed it wasn't really bowhunting. Then for Christmas, the owner of the land I hunt bought me a compound bow. He wanted to see me get back into bowhunting. As a young kid, he remembered me bowhunting the property which was owned at that time by his father and before that by his grandfather who was a close friend of my grandfather. Between my grandfather and I, we have been hunting the property for 87 years.

I have not lost a deer since I was in my teens and then only two. My grandfather taught me to be meticulous about the shots I take on deer and game and it has paid off. Between regular hunting and crop damage permits I have taken over two hundred deer, five bear and many moose. I wish everyone could grow up under the tutelege I did.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #25
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

These are modern times and we all strike our own balance with technology. However, it seems to me a good bit of hunting is now about image and identity. In that vein hunting can be about getting the shot, and I mean the photo after. It might be worth pointing out this thread is about photos of successfully bagged turkeys, but still there are hunters doing it right and hunters who mostly care about "success". Whether you learned from your grandpa or from tv and instagram, if you want to brag up your success at some point you will push the limits with your bow, gun, access or whatever. I think the responsible hunter learns more from the mistakes while the hacks learn mostly from their success. If super shot or a compounds (or shudder-xbows) gives you an edge, the responsible hunter will bank that as insurance for an ethical kill and the photo hog will leverage it into the occasional success and discount the error on the margins.
I enjoy this group because there arent many online forums where the majority of participants share my hunting values. Now ill go find a photo of an old tom I got.
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron Beck For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #26
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well the turkey proofs must have predated my Iphone because I cannot find them. As I recall the toms in eastern Massachusetts were plentiful and not particularly wary and the 10 ga was more than enough gun. We had some good times but i passed it on some years ago. No regrets. These shots date from 2011, I was just over 30.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0428.jpg (499.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0301.jpg (492.5 KB, 4 views)
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aaron Beck For Your Post:
Unread 04-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #27
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

I enjoy all posts with hunting pics. This particular image immediately caught my eye with the closely matching case and gobbler colours. Great pic. Cheers Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DAC7933C-FC6B-4C29-9A58-77FD0CFE7EFF.jpeg (458.2 KB, 0 views)
Unread 04-19-2021, 10:29 PM   #28
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,072 Times in 349 Posts

Great time that week Phil.Sure hope I don't run across another 8ga like yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6551.jpg (545.9 KB, 3 views)
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hayes For Your Post:
Unread 04-19-2021, 10:31 PM   #29
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,072 Times in 349 Posts

One of mine from a few years ago here in Florida.
VH 12ga 30" barrels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0647.JPG (296.1 KB, 1 views)
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hayes For Your Post:
Unread 04-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #30
Cory Rams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just broke in my Charles Daly 10 gauge this morning! I never weighed the bird. It has one and a half inch spurs and two beards. The main beard is 10 1/2 inches long and the smaller one is 7 1/4 inches. First time shooting anything with this gun. The shell was black powder reloaded from yours truly. The Tom came in full strut around 11 AM this morning. Once the smoke cleared the bird was on the ground. I would say it was about a 25 yard shot. I used 100 grains of Fg and 1 5/8oz of BPI nickel plated #6’s. When I skinned it the neck was all jelly inside. The load did a great job.

Last edited by Cory Rams; 04-28-2021 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Cory Rams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cory Rams For Your Post: