Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 02-04-2021, 09:01 PM   #21
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

I used to hear that too and I’ve seen it done but haven’t done it myself.

But I have heard recently that they changed their formula quite some time ago.

But maybe Coca-Cola will do the trick.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #22
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

We've all heard stories about guys who have thrown guns after a bad performance. A "Wild Man" at our club threw a Model 32 Krieghoff over the embankment in front of the trap fields, and walked away. Another member retrieved the gun. When "Mr. Wild Man" asked for the gun after he had calmed down, the member refused to give it to him. He is still shooting that gun today, fifty some years later. I never did hear whether there was a heated discussion, but both men remained members of the club for years to come.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Any ideas of approximate YOM?

That top lever leaf spring should set an “earlier than” year range at least.

Unread 02-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #24
BrianLiszkay
Forum Associate

Member Info

I was clearing some brush for a friend in Warrenton, Virginia. I was picking up metal posts and throwing them in a pile and this one didn't feel like the other ones. Sure enough it was shock and awe that it was not a fence post. A neighbor that was there actually had a parker in good condition. He brought it out and was able to identify this one as a parker. We took side by side comparisons. He is probably on this forum but I am not going to post his parker because I did not ask permission. The owner was happy to let me keep this relic because of how cool it would be. So here I am. I am still trying to get my hands on a friends metal detector. Maybe just maybe I can find a few more pieces but I highly doubt it. Warrenton is an old town and there is history around in every direction. The are farms, land, old family houses all around this area. I too wish I could find more information or be able to answer everyone's questions. We wonder if it was leaning up against a tree, filled with water, and burst the barrels. Who knows what that would do with the interior mechanisms'. That could explain also for not being able to get it open.

I also do believe it is a 16 gauge. On Friday I wrapped it in a cloth and put it gently in a vise and gave it a few healthy hits with a rubber mallet. It does not even budge. I would love to know the next best thing to do to get it open. Penetrating oil? What kind. Heat? I do not want to damage it. sxs gunsmith? Recommendations welcome even if I have to ship it somewhere. For me right now it is best to leave it alone until I find the correct course of action. Thank you again for everyone's comments and feedback.

I am in Gainesville Virginia if anyone is in the area and want's to look at it. I do wish to keep it as it is cool as sh*t and will never happen to me again.

Last edited by BrianLiszkay; 02-07-2021 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Added water freezing as possible outcome
BrianLiszkay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianLiszkay For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #25
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,389 Times in 595 Posts

I wonder if this gun is loaded. Your theory of leaned against a post and lost is a valid one. Of course the weather factors that destroyed the gun would probably have ruined powder and priming by now but a rod down the barrel measured for length compared to length of barrels would tell you if it is.
Old gun dealer friend used to buy a lot of muzzle loading guns and we were surprised to find many with a charge in the barrel.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2021, 12:57 PM   #26
BrianLiszkay
Forum Associate

Member Info

I put a probe down when I first got it. It goes all the way down and there is nothing in it. If there is the only thing left could be a brass cap which may also be preventing it from opening. I did not scope it and forgot to ask my gs if he did or not. If he did there was nothing worth reporting to me.
BrianLiszkay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianLiszkay For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #27
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I sure hope you are able to somehow someday get the serial number from one of the surfaces. Just to know what a research letter would say about it and the person who ordered it would be wonderful. A BH or AH grade was obviously ordered by someone of prominence.

Unread 02-07-2021, 04:07 PM   #28
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

At this point, I would just hose it down with penetrating oil like Kroil or PB Blaster, heck even WD40-cant hurt anything. you can even get up inside the receiver with the stock broken off. Let it sit a week or more before trying again.
Unread 02-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Have you tried a sonic cleaner on it?

Unread 02-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #30
78CJ
PGCA Member

Member Info

Surely if it is still loaded it is only in the left barrel as I doubt that someone was going to give it a whirl again in the right. Given the tolerances of Parker guns I have serious doubts that gun will ever open again being that rusted.

One might theorize the original owner or heir no doubt suffered a bore obstruction or fired some kind of nitro load. This may have resulted in injury requiring immediate attention to which the owner tossed the weapon and sought out treatment never to return.
Ryan Brege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown barrell, rust, wall hanger