Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Rifled Slug/Ball Deer Side by Side
Unread 02-27-2021, 07:42 PM   #1
Member
jeffery c
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 223
Thanks: 89
Thanked 104 Times in 43 Posts

Default Rifled Slug/Ball Deer Side by Side

I received a couple old Double Gun Journals recently and Sherman Bell had an article about a rifled 12 gauge side by side with Hastings barrels fitted up. Does anyone happen to have any guns like that they could post about, maybe with pictures? I'm interested in original or custom shotguns set up to fire slugs or balls. I searched here and found out that Parker actually made original guns that way too. Dewey Vicknair made a custom Fox like that also. Besides that, CSMC makes 20 gauge rifle shotguns.
jefferyconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2021, 08:44 PM   #2
Member
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,666
Thanks: 1,522
Thanked 1,436 Times in 562 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyconnor View Post
I received a couple old Double Gun Journals recently and Sherman Bell had an article about a rifled 12 gauge side by side with Hastings barrels fitted up. Does anyone happen to have any guns like that they could post about, maybe with pictures? I'm interested in original or custom shotguns set up to fire slugs or balls. I searched here and found out that Parker actually made original guns that way too. Dewey Vicknair made a custom Fox like that also. Besides that, CSMC makes 20 gauge rifle shotguns.
Jaquas had one a decade or more ago. An English gun marked for buck and ball. The barrels were not rifled but there were twists visible in the barrels, almost like twisted ripples. It was a neat gun, I canít recall make but it was not a name I recognized.

Jay
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2021, 09:38 PM   #3
Member
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,019
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5,704 Times in 3,034 Posts

Default

there was a 16 ga lc smith double rifled slug gun floating around for sale a few years back on the auction sites...I should have bought it.our own brian was making a slug gun a few years back maybe he will chime in about it...I too have always been interested in these guns...I shoot a parker 8 ga lifter with 2 ounce round balls but it is not accurate beyond 30 yards...it will kill a deer quick if you can hit him or her.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2021, 03:06 PM   #4
Member
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
CraigThompson's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,516
Thanks: 1,828
Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,315 Posts

Default

One of the auction houses had a Parker 12 gauge hammerless in the last two years that was supposedly rifled . Seems to me it was Rock Island , I was called to do a phone bid but it shot above what I was willing to go so I never made a bid .
__________________
Parkerís , 6.5mmís and my family in the Philippines !
CraigThompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #5
Member
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
CraigThompson's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,516
Thanks: 1,828
Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,315 Posts

Default

FWIW , I cast my own slugs for the 10 , 12 , 16 , 20 and 28 all in the design of the Lyman 525 sabot slug ( if you donít know what theyíre like they look like a air rifle pellet on steroids ) . I also cast a couple other slugs for the 8 and 10 gauges as well as roundballs for the 8 , 10 and 12 . But to meet my parameters they only need to do well out to 25 or 30 yards . I do however have a GH 16 with slightly snipped barrels that shoots my slugs well out to 50 yards . My only rifled shotguns any longer are a Savage 220 bolt slug gun and a Jastings barrel for an A-5 Magnum .
__________________
Parkerís , 6.5mmís and my family in the Philippines !
CraigThompson is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2021, 04:13 PM   #6
Member
jeffery c
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 223
Thanks: 89
Thanked 104 Times in 43 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
FWIW , I cast my own slugs for the 10 , 12 , 16 , 20 and 28 all in the design of the Lyman 525 sabot slug ( if you donít know what theyíre like they look like a air rifle pellet on steroids ) . I also cast a couple other slugs for the 8 and 10 gauges as well as roundballs for the 8 , 10 and 12 . But to meet my parameters they only need to do well out to 25 or 30 yards . I do however have a GH 16 with slightly snipped barrels that shoots my slugs well out to 50 yards . My only rifled shotguns any longer are a Savage 220 bolt slug gun and a Jastings barrel for an A-5 Magnum .
I wonder how much more accurate the rifling actually makes foster slugs or balls anyway? Sherman Bell's gun was a Greener I think with sleeved Hastings barrels. It's got to be expensive to have that done!
jefferyconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2021, 06:28 PM   #7
Member
Jim McKee
PGCA Lifetime
Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 142
Thanks: 218
Thanked 139 Times in 34 Posts

Default

The H&H paradox SXS were/are very accurate at 100 yds +
Jim
Jim McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2021, 09:31 PM   #8
Member
jeffery c
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 223
Thanks: 89
Thanked 104 Times in 43 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McKee View Post
The H&H paradox SXS were/are very accurate at 100 yds +
Jim
Those were only rifled at the end of the barrels, right?
jefferyconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2021, 10:45 PM   #9
Member
Jim McKee
PGCA Lifetime
Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 142
Thanks: 218
Thanked 139 Times in 34 Posts

Default

yes
Jim McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2021, 06:48 AM   #10
Member
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime
Member Since
Second Grade

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,812
Thanks: 4,743
Thanked 6,126 Times in 3,404 Posts

Default

There is a 28 gauge Purdey paradox gun floating around recently. It sold at Alderfer's several years ago but my bid was not aggressive enough. I had the gun lettered and it is for real. The letter is in my files.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2021, Parkerguns.org
Copyright © 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.