Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

What's the date of manufacture from serial numbers
Unread 10-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
joe breda
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default What's the date of manufacture from serial numbers

I recently purchased a DHE 28 ga, serial number 28-3290, can I assume it was the 3,290th gun made in the 28ga series? If so, appx. what date would this have been made?
Anyone have a clue ?

CHEERS,
JoeB
joe breda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Joe,

I think that as regular production DHE 28 you would be safe to assume that your gun was the 3,290 28ga assigned a serial #.

The kicker though is there were several special order runs which wore serial numbers unique to them. Some of these were the guns made for the NSFL. They were made in all gauges & configurations but were serial numbered starting at 1 & ending in either 100 or 150 "I forget the exact number made" example 28-4, 20-35, 12-60 etc.

Then there was the prototype guns which had a "P" in the serial # that set them apart P-20 Etc.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is. I have know idea if your gun was the 3,290 28ga made, being as other specialty ones may have been made before yours.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
Khanh Nguyen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just something I found on the forum about the NSFL guns. Since the NSFL guns did not carry special serial numbers like the steel shot specials (12SS-xxxx) I tend to believe that the numbers were in normal series and Jim Rickhof just got the first 100 production guns in 20 and 28g

"Richard, I also have a NSFL 28 ga 2 barrel set. Below is information I found out in 2006 about the NSFL. This may be more than you ever wanted to know, but here goes.
From 2006
"Your Parker repro is one of 100 guns from The National Sporting Fraternity. I have been a member of this organization for over 20 years. It was started by Jim Rikhoff of New Jersey. He worked for Winchester and Winchester press. The goal of the NSFL is to bring back sporting literature remenisint of the days of Derrydale Press. These guns were the first two bbl sets as I recall produced for the Repo Parker. As memory serves (not something to rely on ) the second set of bbls were made by Krieghoff. These guns were used as a fundraiser for NSFL.
You might be able to gain more information by contacting the NSFL through Amwell Press in Clinton, New Jersey."

From 2006. I then talked to Jim Rikhoff and below is what I found out.

"I talked to Jim Rikhoff today and was given the following information about these Parker Repro’s with the NSFL markings.
He did work for Olin-Winchester for 16 years in the 60’s and early 70’s and at the time these guns were being developed he was friend of the Skeuse family. The NSFL was given the rights to 100 each of the 20 and 28 ga. guns to offer to their members. They were offered by subscription and all 100 of each gauge were sold. They were only offered as 2 barrel sets and were to have upgraded wood. There were no unusual options available and they were only offered in DHE grade.
Mr. Rikhoff was not aware of any special serial numbers being issued, nor does he recall that they were to be given the first 100 of each. However they were offered to the members in early 1984 and since the only serial numbers that I have heard of were below 100 and appear to be in the normal numbering sequence, with no special markings, it seems possible that these are the first 100 of each guage..
If anyone comes up with any additional information on these guns I would be interested in knowing about it."

Gordon"
Khanh Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

As far as I am aware, the second set of barrels on the NSFL gun were the same gauge as the first, not Krieghoff made 16 gauge barrels as one poster implied. The OP asked about dates. The introduction dates of the 28 gauge are available in various Parker Repro literature which, as I recall, is available somewhere on this site. I can't find it.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Repro literature can be found in the repro section under the "Parker Grades" link on the main page.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
joe breda
Forum Associate

Member Info

I checked the Parker grade section, There was nothing there concerning info to date the gun (What year it was made) Is there any info on date of manufacture corresponding to serial number ?
CHEERS !
JoeB
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Joe,
I have never seen any date/ser# information listed anywhere.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

The 28 gauge would have been introduced somewhere from the Repro introduction in 1984 and the 1988 brochure which shows all gauges. My assumption is that the manufacture of all guns of a particular gauge was completed within a year or two from the introduction date. Guessing that the introduction date of the 28 gauge was about 1986, the date of a 28 gauge in the 3000 serial number range should have been maybe 1987 or 1988. The introduction of the 28 gauge was a two sided color trifold mailed in January of 1987. My guess is that many 28 gauge guns were in inventory by that date. This particular item is not pictured in the PGCA pictured collection, but the color cover is the cover with the grouse. The text addresses the introduction of the "New" 28 gauge. The back of the trifold is a full page listing of Parker Repro dealers. I don't know where they got the mailing list for this mailing, but PGCA or Double Gun Journal are possibilities.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
joe breda
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bil,
Thanks for info. It does sound reasonable and logical.
Cheers.
JoeB
PS I believe we are fortunate we have these Repro's, especialy in the smaller gauges, Last time I looked, an original DHE 28 in good shape was asking $28,230.00 for it, way above my budget. Even if I could aford it, it would probably be a safe queen !
Unread 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

Here's a pic of the trifold brochure introducing the 28-ga. Repro that Bill mentioned. I also believe that it was introduced in 1986.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-ga. Repro intro 001.jpg (566.3 KB, 21 views)