Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Help with Rio loads for my 12 year old
Unread 04-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #1
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,460 Times in 969 Posts

Default Help with Rio loads for my 12 year old

I'm still on the learning curve of shotshell reloading and this is for our little girl who just ran her first "2 straight" in the yard with her little Mossberg and is now itching to shoot more. She's fine with low recoil 20g RST shells (1150FPS I think). With the lack of reloading materials, I grabbed what I could when I could. I grabbed 100 new Rio primed hulls 2 3/4" because they were available, not realizing finding a soft load and wads is tougher than I thought. If I could use these I can keep her going and hopefully interested and she's going to take her hunter safety test soon : ) This is what I have on hand:

Green Dot
Am. Select
WST/WSF
Unique
Universal
700X
Bullseye
Red Dot

Primed new Rio hulls

Orange duster wads

3/4 and 7/8 charge bars

1/8" felt wads

If I could have found Cheddite or STS or AA hulls I would have grabbed them. Any help appreciated, if there are no softer shooting loads I can find I'll keep searching the net for any available light ammo for her. I hardly shoot a 20 anymore so this is a weak spot in my ammo supply. Thank you in advance.
Unread 04-10-2021, 09:44 PM   #2
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,659 Times in 1,854 Posts

Andy BP has a manual for RIO recipes you can order. It's inexpensive, at least it was a couple of years ago.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2021, 09:58 PM   #3
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Andy, it is my belief that Rio hulls are made by Cheddite, look at the head stamp. I have bought them and cut them down (to 2 1/2") when I could find no others, couldn't tell the difference when loading. As a teenager just starting to reload shot shells I shot up pounds of Unique in a 20 ga. 870. Check manufacturer data looking for sub 1200 FPS loads, Alliant website has several low velocity loads showing unique and Orange Duster wads with light shot weights. As the hulls may be different, back well off the max load and pay close attention for pressure signs. It is generally NOT RECOMMENDED TO SUBSTITUTE ANYTHING IN A PUBLISHED LOAD but I use several loads that started with non published component combinations to this day.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2021, 09:59 PM   #4
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good suggestion on the BP manual.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 04-10-2021, 10:41 PM   #5
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Keith and Randy thank you very much. I have the Rio manual, along with all of their Advantages manual. The problem is having either the powder or the wad that is listed in the recipe. I Suspected the Rios were the same as the Cheddites as that’s what I have been reading online but I just wasn’t sure. I cut a Cheddite and Rio apart and they sure do look similar. Thank you for the help !
Unread 04-11-2021, 08:17 AM   #6
john pulis
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you look at the Alliant and Hogdons web sites you will find tested recipes. Also look at the Claybuster web site. He has recipes using 700x with his 3/4 & 7/8 oz loads with Win, REM, and Federal hulls, tapered and straight wall hulls. Down range purchased the Duster line of wads, and may have recipes on his web site. Is the Orange duster a Winchester (tapered hull) clone? Are Rios a tapered or straight internal hull?
john pulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #7
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by john pulis View Post
If you look at the Alliant and Hogdons web sites you will find tested recipes. Also look at the Claybuster web site. He has recipes using 700x with his 3/4 & 7/8 oz loads with Win, REM, and Federal hulls, tapered and straight wall hulls. Down range purchased the Duster line of wads, and may have recipes on his web site. Is the Orange duster a Winchester (tapered hull) clone? Are Rios a tapered or straight internal hull?
The Orange Duster label says "WAA20" equivalent, so assumed for a tapered hull? The Rio's are straight wall Reifenhauser or whatever you call it design. I only have the Dusters because it's a new bag of 500 for $6 laying on the gun club table.
Unread 04-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #8
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Andy, you might want to just call DR. They list the Orange Duster under Federal type wads in 20 ga. Typically newer vintage Federal are straight wall cases. BUT they also list them under Winchester type. When in doubt, call the manufacturer's tech guys. This will sort opinion , rumor, and fact.
Unread 04-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #9
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'll do that tomorrow Keith, thank you.
Unread 04-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #10
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you just can't find a workable combination and it'll keep a 12 year old shooting I'll bag up 100 of mine, Sporting "S" 20 ga. wads, and send'em to you. I use them in straight wall hulls like Cheddite, RST, etc. They will be short ( I use them in 2 1/2" shells) but card wads are cheap and still currently available. I also know of guys using Cherios and pinto beans to "bulk up" light loads so they crimp well!