Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

new user needs advice
Unread 03-16-2021, 11:25 AM   #1
john cragan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default new user needs advice

looking for some info-clarification. looking at a model gh- 20 ga . ser # indicates 1903. barrel steel is advertised as vulcan? were the gh models made with both vulcan and parker special steel? All the ser # match. Any info on this matter is appreciated
john cragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2021, 12:27 PM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john cragan View Post
looking for some info-clarification. looking at a model gh- 20 ga . ser # indicates 1903. barrel steel is advertised as vulcan? were the gh models made with both vulcan and parker special steel? All the ser # match. Any info on this matter is appreciated
John, GH grade guns did not come standard with Vulcan steel barrels. Vulcan steel was the barrel steel that was standard on VH grade guns. If you are willing to post the serial number of your gun, it might be in the serialization book which would be a good clue to the original specifications on your gun.

Lots of things could happen to a gun since 1903, so the possible variables are many. It's best to have more information, like the serial number. I assume you've checked the information on grades on the home page and know what to look for to determine grade as stamped on the gun frame.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks Gary
Unread 03-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
john cragan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Thanks Gary

have sent in a request for a letter - which should give tha barrel steel info. . Thanks for the feed back
Unread 03-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

We have seen a number of Parkers that originally had Damascus Steel barrels that were sent back for fluid steel barrels and the least expensive option was the Vulcan Steel barrels even though this gun, by grade, would have had Parker Special Steel barrels as the correct for the grade option.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks Dean
Unread 03-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #5
john cragan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Thanks Dean

As i mentioned, i sent in a request to pgca and hope the reply will shed some light on the subject. i think you may be right and the gun might have been sent back to parker . All the same ser # , but they would probably do that to the replacement barrels as they would have to be produced to the action.
Thanks again for your feedback
Unread 03-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

The Serialization Book may tell how the gun was originally shipped. Someone would look it up for you if you would post the serial number.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2021, 01:56 PM   #7
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,933 Times in 1,411 Posts

John, I just mailed your letter on 179343 which is a DHE 16ga. with 28" Titanic barrels. I'm guessing I haven't received your request for the GH 20ga. yet. I did make a minor mistake on your letter so I'll revise it and include it with the GH when I get the request.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you
Unread 03-25-2021, 09:43 AM   #8
john cragan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Thank you

Request for gh parker iknfo forthcoming.The complete ser# of the gh is 115581.. With my resource it makes the shotgun 1903 manufacture.?. That,s as far as ican go. pending outcome of research request. i appreciate your repl y.
I apoligize for appearing to be reluctant to provide info, but don,t have the item in hand. Have agreed to purchase and will honor the agreement as long as the final inspection is decent. . Have all the specs as provided , with complete ser now. Feel comfortable with vender-seller and hope for the best. .My biggest concern is the question o vulcan steel barrels instead of the parker special steel which to my knowledge was what was supposed to be associatedwith -to the gh grade. Thanks again for your reply and feedback . 2nd request form on the way. . Thanks again - john cragan
Unread 03-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

#115,581 was originally made as a 26" Damascus steel GH 16 gauge. The PGCA letter would give you this information to include information on the Vulcan barrels if it is in surviving order book entries. The absence of this information does not mean that the Vulcan barrels were not installed at the Parker or Remington factory. Visual inspection of the gun by an experienced Parker collector would be the last word. John, good luck with a nice gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: