Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Help identifying an Ithaca!
Unread 11-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
Jim Majoros
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Help identifying an Ithaca!

Please help! We have an old Ithaca side by side that we are having trouble identifying. The serial number insists that it is a Flues HOWEVER, it has exposed hammers which is definitely NOT a Flues. I've included a few pictures, I can add others on request and will answer any questions ASAP. Our initial impression was that this is a Baker, but it has also been suggested that it is a Crass... If anyone can help us solve this mystery it would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Jamey Majoros, Vice President
Viktor's Legacy Custom Gunsmithing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2124.jpg (467.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2125.jpg (503.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2126.jpg (487.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2128.jpg (491.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2130.jpg (494.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2131.jpg (493.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2133.jpg (471.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2134.jpg (477.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2168.jpg (460.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Jim Majoros; 11-12-2015 at 06:17 PM..
Jim Majoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Suggest you post this on the Double Gun site, asking for help from Walt Snyder
Unread 11-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,155 Times in 3,259 Posts

difficult if you hide half the serial number

some other models - including Flues shared number ranges with NIGs

i have heard there are some errors in here that were corrected in a later edition

http://www.ithacagun.com/pdfs/serialnumbers.pdf
Unread 11-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,532 Times in 4,621 Posts

It is definitely a NIG (New Ithaca Gun) hammer Ithaca. This was before any of the hammerless varieties were offered. And it is a graded gun to boot. Not often seen. Based on the water table stamping, it is a 12g. and the C would be the grade I assume since this is where Ithaca always stamped the grade on the later hammerless guns, but they used a number grading system. Based on the engraving style, it looks to be equal to a grade 3 or 4.

What are you doing with the gun?
Unread 11-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

Yes. A Quality-C New Ithaca Gun (NIG). The NIG replaced the original Ithaca Gun Co. Baker Model hammer gun in 1887 beginning at serial number 6550. The NIG continued to be produced along with and serial numbered with the Crass, Lewis, Minier and Flues Model hammerless guns to 1914. Higher grade NIGs are quite scarce.

NIG grades were letters --

the X-Grade NIG equaled the Field Grade hammerless,
the A-Grade NIG equaled the No. 1 hammerless,
the AA-Grade NIG equaled the No. 1 1/2 hammerless,
the B-Grade NIG equaled the No. 2 hammerless,
the C-Grade NIG equaled the No. 3 hammerless,
the D-Grade NIG equaled the No. 4 hammerless, and
the E-Grade NIG equaled the No. 5 hammerless.

In 1914 the NIG was replaced with a short-lived hammer double called the "Two-Bolt Model" that was essentially a hammer version of the Flues Model hammerless.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
Jim Majoros
Forum Associate

Member Info

The full serial # is 195XX0 which puts the gun squarely within the 1910 Flues serial range. I do agree that it is a NIG, as does the current Ithaca gun Company's historian lady. Apparently she has some of the records from the original company. However, it is our mission to positively identify the model and grade. We'd like to give a current intrinsic value of the gun to our customer. Our customer who owns the gun currently, is the son of the original owner (a physician). The gold shield inletted into the stock has the name of the doctor engraved into it. If we can positively identify the gun, barring any significant historical value, the current owner wishes us to do a full restoration using the original methods Ithaca used to manufacture the gun. He then plans to gift it to his son so as to insure it stays in the family! I wish to thank all of you folks in advance for any assistance you've provided or will provide.

Respectfully, Jim
Unread 11-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,532 Times in 4,621 Posts

I might add just my opinion here if it means anything, i would recommend to your customer to not restore the gun. Obviousky i am speaking based on just what i see of the gun in the photos. But it looks to have a good amount of orignal case color and barrel finish remaining. Guns are only original once and a gun with original condition will always be worth more than a refinished one. And the value will usually never be boosted by more than the cost of the restoration.
In this case, if it needs some stock finish, or checkering touched up or a screw fixed here or there, those things may help the overall presentation of the gun, but if all is in good to very good original condition, leave it be. I think that a FULL restoration of the gun will hirt this one in particular.

We habe established that the gun is a NIG hammer grade C. (Equal to a grade 3 hammerless). Determining a value may be a little difficult since there are few examples out there. I woukd say an equal grade 3 hammerless woukd be in the $2,000-3,000 range. So this one should be in the same ballpark of not more given it is a hammer gun.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 11-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,861 Times in 4,750 Posts

A friend owns and shoots a B grade NIG 16 gauge with 32" barrels. I, personally, have never seen a C grade. A full refinish will definitely lower the value of the gun substantially. I worked in the shop where the B grade 16 was sold, but somehow let it slip away. I once owned an NIG with steel barrels and let that one go too.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 11-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
Jim Majoros
Forum Associate

Member Info

Brian, I fully agree with you on not restoring the gun. The barrels are Damascus twist steel and show very little pitting inside. I've run a bore scope in the tubes and the pitting is very minor and shallow. Short of Radio-graphing the barrels I feel it would be safe to shoot (if desired) with black powder pressure equivalent loads. This is a beautiful gun in good condition with great patina. I personally am leaning towards a light refinish and touch up of the stock set only. There are a few dings and scratches in the wood, which is exceptional and beautifully figured feather crotch American Walnut. It just needs a cleaning to highlight the figure again. Years of accumulated dirt and oil have dulled and hidden the figure. Now that I have several experts in agreement that it is a "C" grade NIG, I feel the customer is better served by leaving the gun "as is". Thanks again!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Majoros For Your Post:
Unread 11-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
Brent Francis
Forum Associate

Member Info

Really nice and really really rare. You would have to look long and hard for another. Field grade NIGs are fairly common. The B grades show up rarely on GB and GI but I dont recall ever seeing any of the higher grade NIGs before your post. Thank you for pictures. I have a field grade 12 and a B grade 16 and have shot both with RST 2 1/2" with no problems. I think they are nicer than most of the sidelock hammer guns from that era.
Brent Francis is offline   Reply With Quote