Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

One of those deals......
Unread 08-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,172 Posts

Default One of those deals......

You ever had something you always kinda wanted but never wanted to pay real money for? One of mine was always a vintage .410 double barrel, though I have absolutely no use for one. Walked into an estate sale a few days ago and there laid a nice early Stevens 311 in .410 for $150 so I took it home. Some pepper rust on the metal and the wood needs a little love but otherwise solid and clean. Double real ivory beads on it, I thought that was unusual.

I've got about 20 boxes of .410 shells in various loadings laying around. I might have to try to shoot some skeet with it just for a laugh. I doubt I ever take it to the field for anything other than backyard blackbird shooting, but for that price it wasn't too painful. Hell I see these hillbilly gunshow sellers put $500 on guns like this. No clue if they actually sell them or not.....

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 08-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,166 Times in 3,262 Posts

the 311 is a solid action - in a 410 it ought to last forever
Unread 08-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've got three, the other two are family guns. I've had more trouble with Parkers than I ever had with those and that's for sure.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 08-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,793 Times in 651 Posts

Destry,
Yes, I have seen them sell for that price and more!
Jeff
Jeff Kuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Don't you have some more of those black squirrel you can use it on.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Steve Havener
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry it ought to make a darned fine bushy tail and rabbit gun if you are into shooting furry creatures with a shotgun.
Steve Havener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

destrey i bought a 311 410 stevens about 10 years ago and gave 650 for it and thought i was getting a good deal..i think the next time i want some kind of gun i m gona call you and let you find one for me..i think you have bought thebuy of the year and these little 410 s will kill a squirl away up yonder...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I dunno, I've never thought a .410 much good past 25 yards even on something sitting still. I've got no faith in them, even with the 3 inch shells.

DLH
Unread 08-05-2014, 01:37 AM   #9
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,568 Times in 1,101 Posts

I know this can start quite a controversy but I always liked the 410 Destry ,I use the Parker 410 for Wood Cock and Game Preserve Pheasant over Pointing Dogs and it'll kill them plenty DEAD ! But ,I really enjoy Wood Cock hunting with a 410 ! You did real good on this little gun ,they mostly fetch at least $450.00 or better these days ! Congrats !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 08-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
Steve Havener
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
I dunno, I've never thought a .410 much good past 25 yards even on something sitting still. I've got no faith in them, even with the 3 inch shells.

DLH
Back when I was younger, quicker and not plagued by the ills associated with old age when I started getting sloppy shooting quail with my 20 gauge Model 12 I would pick up my old Savage 220 single shot and after a trip or two to the field I was back on with the 20. The 410 caused me to concentrate more and choose my shots more wisely. My shots were limited to 30 yards which is only about 5 yards less than my normal comfort zone so I wasn't handicapping myself much on range. I don't know if would help me today but it sure wouldn't hurt to try.
Steve Havener is offline   Reply With Quote