Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 12-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

For years I took a five gallon pail with me. It carried my hot seat, thermos, lunch, binoculars ect. When I'd get to where I was hunting it became a seat. So far I've used 6 rifles since November 15. This pm the 275 Rigby comes out again.
Unread 12-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I have spent fifty-six Vermont deer seasons still-hunting and sitting on my Therm-a-Seat 1” foam pad (just like yours Frank, and made right here in MA) sometimes in the same place year after year, but usually where I find a lot of activity. I always carry pruning clippers so I can make the best of a new spot or where there is new growth in an old spot.
I don’t trust myself in a tree stand even with a full body harness. Sitting in the right spot on the ground is just the ticket for me.

I shot a buck at 12 feet from where I sat that never knew I was there.

Geeez I've only been on the face of the earth 57 1/2 years

I suppose you could say I took to the trees a little later then some . I used to lay between two blow down trees . Dunno if I ever got one at 12 feet but if I haven't I didn't miss it by much .

I really enjoy sitting in a climbing treestand 30-35 feet up . Strapped in etc , I've taken many many naps up that high . I've got 6 or 7 climbers that you'd have to make a concerted effort to fall out of .

In the last 10 years I've gotten to where I like deer hunting/driving with some friends the last 2 or 3 days of the season . That's more of a social thing , although a deer or two are killed some years .

I also occasionally like the pop up covered ground blinds ESPECIALLY if it's raining . Been known to take a nap or two inside one of those things sitting in a bag chair while it's pouring outside .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #13
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Anyone interested in old school eastern deer hunting, period rifles, equipment and such would do well to get a copy of Shots at Whitetails by Larry R Koller. Mr. Koller was an extraordinary deer hunter and writer. He started his book in the 1930's, finishing it after the War. It was first published I believe in 1948. Reprints are available on eBay etc. Incidentally Larry was a huge fan of the 250-3000 cartridge in the Model 99 Savage.
I've had a copy of Koller's book for over 40 years !

I also like Bryce Towsleys book on the Benoit's all thou there choice of rifles isn't exactly mine .
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #14
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post

Geeez I've only been on the face of the earth 57 1/2 years

I suppose you could say I took to the trees a little later then some . I used to lay between two blow down trees . Dunno if I ever got one at 12 feet but if I haven't I didn't miss it by much .

I really enjoy sitting in a climbing treestand 30-35 feet up . Strapped in etc , I've taken many many naps up that high . I've got 6 or 7 climbers that you'd have to make a concerted effort to fall out of .

In the last 10 years I've gotten to where I like deer hunting/driving with some friends the last 2 or 3 days of the season . That's more of a social thing , although a deer or two are killed some years .

I also occasionally like the pop up covered ground blinds ESPECIALLY if it's raining . Been known to take a nap or two inside one of those things sitting in a bag chair while it's pouring outside .
The nap in the woods while deer hunting has to be one of God's greatest gifts to humankind!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2018, 10:01 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
The nap in the woods while deer hunting has to be one of God's greatest gifts to humankind!

It truly is!!

I woke up one evening after dark after having fallen asleep soon after I sat there at about 2:30 pm. It was snowing pretty good when I sat and when I woke up I had at least 3" of fresh snow blanketing me.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
It truly is!!

I woke up one evening after dark after having fallen asleep soon after I sat there at about 2:30 pm. It was snowing pretty good when I sat and when I woke up I had at least 3" of fresh snow blanketing me.

Never did that ! When I was going to the Blackwster NWR for Sika deer I’d leave home at about 12:30 AM drive the 3 1/2 hours , refuel the truck and be at the refuge gate when they opened usually up the tree and situated by 05:30 . Then I’d nap until close to legal shooting time . Little Sika hooves splash splashing in the water are an excellent alarm clock !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #17
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
It truly is!!

Dean,

Now that's some serious napping. Your story gave me the best chuckle I've had in a while. I kept thinking of another hunter coming upon you half buried in the snow -- it would take a year or two off a guy's life.

I had a buddy with me while Fall turkey hunting a few years ago. We had busted the flock and I was calling them in for us. Unbeknownst to me, he had fallen asleep behind me. Just as I had several of the flock on the edge of shotgun range, he sounded off with one of the most prodigious snores I've ever heard. The turkeys flew off. He never woke up...and later a groundhog came in to investigate his snores. I told him I was going to start using him as a varmint call.

I'm sure you did not snore under your blanket of snow...
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #18
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,390 Times in 3,073 Posts

I just love that Krag, Frank.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: