Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Winchester Model 21 Stocks
Unread 11-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Winchester Model 21 Stocks

Does anyone happen to know how much cast was built into Model 21 stocks? I know that the Trap, Skeet, and special order guns were obviously made to order in some cases. I'm curious about the standard or field grade guns.

Thanks in advance.
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
Pay Dirt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,341 Times in 301 Posts

I believe they were made with neutral cast.
Bobby Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Cash For Your Post:
Unread 11-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

I have a 2 barrel 20 gauge skeet grade which was obviously custom ordered. It was ordered with 1/4" cast and 3" chambers.
Unread 11-28-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

Don't know without researching that one but for what it may be worth I just took a quick glance at several Cody letters and most did specify the LOP, DAC, DAH, and even the pitch but no mention of cast. Had it been a custom ordered cast it would most likely have noted so as you indicated already. If they were going to include all the above info including the pitch of all things then why not the cast, who knows....
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,565 Times in 378 Posts

I have 3 models 21's, only 1 has cast, it's a 1934 20ga Tournament grade, letter has pitch,dac,dah and 3 lop measurements ,but no mention of cast. Gun has a fair amount of right hand cast.
Unread 11-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #6
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

For some odd reason shotguns with cast to accommodate right handed shooters is called "cast off". Cast to accommodate lefties is called "cast on". It is confusing to sometimes remember which. I think most of the gunmakers that could accommodate custom orders had try guns so obviously on some of those bespoke their maybe some records of it.

I think some shooters that understood cast benefits could have gun altered after the fact since you can put some cast in a stock by steaming it, so probably rare to find record of that alteration unless sent back to manufacturer. I think someone like Brian Dudley could do that as well.

I think most older guns unless bespoke were always neutral. However I think some modern break action gunmkaers like Baretta have put some "cast off" to their guns to appeal the masses. I know some now semi-autos like Bennelli have shim kits to accommodate some cast, which is a great idea.

Ya know I have always wondered why even some of these older guns with considerable drop do not have their stocks steamed so that drop on these guns is not as severe.

Since I shoot lefty all my guns have always been neutral and now nothing else. At one time went in for a gunfitting at time when on heavy side and it was suggested I could use some "cast on". I almost succumbed since the gun shop had this nice Grulla SxS that had some "cast on" built into the stock. That gun was perfect for me and it haunted me for about a year as it stayed in that gunshop for a long time for no takers. One day right before season started I said heck I am going to just go buy that gun, some other lefty bought it the day before, thank goodness. Lost about 15 pounds afterwards and cast problem solved anyway.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote