Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 10-07-2018, 06:45 AM   #21
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I recall years ago that a few shot shell manufacturers promoted their dual density loads by having two different shot sizes. I think it was mostly designed for waterfowl hunters. For instance it used to be about 30% of #2 combined with 70% of #4 shot. I remember shooting it and it killed ducks but did not shoot enough to say it was inferior or superior to a so called homogeneous load. Remembered the ads for it saying best of both worlds with larger shot giving more knockdown power at further ranges plus having pattern density for moderate ranges. It sounded good in theory but not certain it really performed the best. Plus the premium they were charging for each box guaranteeing superior performance than normal loads did not really jive where we were hunting at the time in beaver ponds.

We all know shotguns were not designed as precision guns and obviously a slight variation in shot size I don't think makes that much difference, or does it. We also know that deformed shot can cause flyers and shot stringing assuming pellets were deformed by the powder discharge. This maybe part of it but maybe the variation in actual shot size before also contributes to flyers and stringing just as much as deformation.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2018, 07:17 AM   #22
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

I seem to recall the dual shot size was (or maybe still is) used as a marketing tool for turkey ammo too. Something about improved pattern density If I recall correctly. I've never used or tested it but it would not surprise me to learn that it is an improvement.
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Duplex Load
Unread 10-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #23
Scott Gentry
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Duplex Load

One that never made much sense to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAF0014F-F1B6-40D1-9656-97041A8B8149.jpg (513.8 KB, 2 views)
Scott Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #24
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,780 Times in 2,010 Posts

As Grandma used to say, 8 1/2 shot??--'bout as useless as tits on a boar hog
Unread 10-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #25
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
--'bout as useless as tits on a boar hog
My dads good friend and hunting buddy from West Virginia used to say that. Tough fella. He lost his right eye and then learned to shoot left handed.

He always had some great mountain wityisms. My other favorite was "talking to him was like satisfying a boar hog-once you start he wont let you stop"

Scott that is the stuff. I had forgotten they also did that. Remember the marketing info on it but can't say how it performed justified the up charge in price they were asking. I think it just a gimmick that also produced shot stringing. Since most people don't really think about it that much it was one of those good thought-bad idea products.
Unread 10-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #26
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,560 Times in 3,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
As Grandma used to say, 8 1/2 shot??--'bout as useless as tits on a boar hog
Harold,

My friend's "Grandma" had a similar saying about useless things, but I can't post it here. Your Grandma was obviously more genteel than his.

I dug through my stash of shot shells, knowing I'd shot 8 1/2s before. This time my feeble memory served me well. I killed many a grouse and a few woodcock with these. Were they better than 8s or 9s -- not to my unscientific leanings, but when you can't make up your mind, indecision can make you do funny things.

I have a couple of AyAs with 27 inch barrels. When I bought them I asked the dealer why 27 inches. He essentially said that AyA was trying please those who wanted 28" AND 26" barrels. Not sure that works.

Chalk all this up to the large category of "the irrelevant."

I guess it's like finding a unique Parker with some feature or configuration not seen before. As I often read in this Forum, "Never say never."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4869.jpg (229.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Garry L Gordon; 10-10-2018 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Old age.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #27
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Harold,

My friend's "Grandma" had a similar saying about useless things, but I can't post it here. Your Grandma was obviously more genteel than his.

I dug through my stash of shot shells, knowing I'd shot 8 1/2s before. This time my feeble memory served me well. I killed many a grouse and a few woodcock with these. Were they better than 8s or 9s -- not to my unscientific leanings, but when you can't make up your mind, indecision can make you do funny things.

I have a couple of AyAs with 27 inch barrels. When I bought them I asked the dealer why 27 inches. He essentially said that AyA was trying please those who wanted 28" AND 26" barrels. Not sure that works.

Chalk all this up to the large category of "the irrelevant."

I guess it's like finding a unique Parker with some feature or configuration not seen before. As I often read in this Forum, "Never say never."
The “Bill Hanus Bird Gun” dimensions specify 27” bbls. And you see lots of english guns with 27” tubes
Unread 10-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #28
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,560 Times in 3,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
The “Bill Hanus Bird Gun” dimensions specify 27” bbls. And you see lots of english guns with 27” tubes
Mark,

Very true, but I’ve never heard any English makers nor Hanus come up with the same goofy logic as that guy selling those AyAs.

Last edited by Garry L Gordon; 10-10-2018 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Still old age.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #29
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Mark,

Very true, but I’ve never heard any English makers nor Hanus come up with the same goofy logic as that guy selling those AyAs.

True Dat!!!!
Unread 10-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #30
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I only talked to Bill Hanus once years ago considering one of his guns. Neat fella that loved the small bores and had strong notions. Anything bigger than a 16 gauge for a double gun in upland hunting he was firmly against.
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post: