Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 07-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #11
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

I had that same problem with fiber fillers and went to using a lubed fiber filler which solved that flying bits problem. I also add a thin hard nitro card over the filler to keep shot from embedding in the soft filler wad.
Eric Johanen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Johanen For Your Post:
Unread 07-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #12
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,389 Times in 595 Posts

Sent e-mail to Circle-fly and await their reply, have used just over- powder wad and it works but lengthens the process. Two of the friends are recent Parker converts and another just bought his first sxs so must tread softly lest they revert to their heathen ways.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #13
Carl G. Bachhuber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Some where, some time ago,in a place long forgotten, I came up with a box of honest-to-God wax soaked felt wads. They were a bit gummy and their shape was a bit indistinct, but they were perfect for this type of work. I will have to search the basement to see if I still have some and perhaps get a clue as to whom the manufacturer was. If you didn't use a thin card over them shot would stick to the wad, which isn't a good thing.
C.G.B.
Carl G. Bachhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carl G. Bachhuber For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #14
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

Use card wads not fiber wads. Craig
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #15
Carl G. Bachhuber
PGCA Member

Member Info

I searched the basement and came up with fiber wads, cork wads, and hard felt wads, but none of the spongy wax soaked felt wads. Back when the thinking was that a 'cushion' wad was necessary for 'good' patterns. I have wanted to, but not had the time to, run some patterns with columns of all hard card wads vs columns using a combination of soft and hard wads. I expect that the fiber filler wads were used because they were cheaper to mfg. than the hard wads?
C.G.B.
Carl G. Bachhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carl G. Bachhuber For Your Post:
Unread 07-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #16
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Daniel, must be something in the water back east. Here in Michigan, at least at my club, you wouldn't dare open your mouth about some paper wads floating in the air. You'd be told to man up, get a life, you're a sissy, etc, etc, etc. I just talked to BPI and was told they quit carrying the lubed 16ga wad. I would think Craig still makes it. Good luck.
Unread 07-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #17
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

They are not native New Englanders, their states of origin will not be mentioned. The natives ask '' is that the best you can do''? Can you do colors? Had one answer from Craig asking for clarification and have not heard back as yet. If i find something i will post here.
Unread 07-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #18
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Old V.M Starr who won many a turkey shoot with his muzzleloader against the new cartridge guns said cushion wads were unnecessary. He only used the OP hard card and said cushion wads only use was to take up space in shells. I would think a little cushion would help. My 10ga shells are 2 5/8 because I had a Parker 10 with stepped chambers at 2 5/8. I also have another Parker, Remington and Lefever 10ga guns so to make things easy I just cut all the shells at 2 5/8. They take a little less filler wads. Daniel, shoot some BP shells and really make em wine. Do it on the skeet field on a still day. The next guy will wine about not being able to see the birds. I just tell them - you think you're having trouble, you aught to try shooting it. The low bird station one kind a comes out of the fog at the last second. It's a poke and hope.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 07-18-2018, 07:03 PM   #19
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

All sorts of questions can come up shooting Parker 10s. Is it Damascus ? 10 G allowed on This course ? what’s that confetti coming out of the muzzle. And then there are BP loads.

Better to pick your squad than change what tested and works.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #20
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mr. Davis, i find half the fun of shooting is telling them of course it's damascus,well you can't shoot it, please step back and we will see how it goes. You can't shoot a 10 ga. here it's too big, 1 oz. at 1150 and what are you shooting. Paul i am holding off on BP until they get used to what i am doing now and i usually shoot first and will wait for still damp day so it will hang.