Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

New 16 Trojan
Unread 01-17-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Default New 16 Trojan

Like I described yesterday I picked the VH (just posted) and did the deal. But I kept going back to this Trojan with 26" tubes. There was one thing I didn't like at all that made me walk away, and that's that it's F/F choked. But something about it is special. It has the build of a tank but doesn't handle like one. It's fast, not light, but certainly in no way heavy. There is that "something" that just wouldn't let me walk away and the condition was very nice. When we rapped the tubes and they rang like church bells I was sold. I will get flamed but I would consider having the chokes opened, but will likely just shoot spreader loads for a season and see where that takes me. I would hate to touch it if I didn't have to. I wonder if one day it was a turkey, squirrel or wood duck gun.

Now a sincere thank you to EVERYONE on here, and Don Mills in particular, who have helped me take the right due diligence baby steps. Hopefully I didn't screw this up. Without this board I would be making expensive mistakes, and I'm not entirely sure there are not faults here, but then again at some point you gotta take that leap and succumb to the disease. So thank you everyone, sincerely. My gun buying is now OVER (until Tuesday that is, when my VHE 12 arrives )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210117-_DSC2272.jpg (418.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20210117-_DSC2273.jpg (457.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20210117-_DSC2274.jpg (372.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20210117-_DSC2275.jpg (354.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20210117-_DSC2276.jpg (373.7 KB, 30 views)
Unread 01-17-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

And a few more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210117-_DSC2277.jpg (396.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20210117-_DSC2278.jpg (467.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20210117-_DSC2282.jpg (479.7 KB, 13 views)
Unread 01-17-2021, 07:02 PM   #3
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sweet Trojan! Looks like another sound buy. Looks like the stock may have been refinished and barrels re-blued at some point but I consider that maintenance on a well used field gun. This 16 will be wicked over decoys!
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 07:09 PM   #4
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Doty View Post
Sweet Trojan! Looks like another sound buy. Looks like the stock may have been refinished and barrels re-blued at some point but I consider that maintenance on a well used field gun. This 16 will be wicked over decoys!
I asked purposely about a re-blue and stock refinish and he said he didn't "think so" because it's a later gun it looks this way. One of the barrels is worn more to one end on the bluing so they're not pristine. To me there's a "disconnect" between the receiver wear and the rest of the gun, but that's just my gut talking to me. In any event it's not done poorly, at least I don't think so, and it seems sound. But it's the way it feels and the dimensions that sold it. (but I'm preaching to the choir here..) And we came to a much better deal for me because I did two guns and neither of us planned on that. Least of all me!
Unread 01-17-2021, 07:11 PM   #5
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Also Keith, I mentioned considering opening the chokes. I wouldn't do that to a gun with a great chance for upside appreciation or one that hasn't been touched. I find my greatest challenge in knowing what is "untouched" vs "touched" or refinished.
Unread 01-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #6
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think re-blued from the weep hole in the bottom rib just in front of the extractor passage, stock looks a bit too "fresh" for the honest wear on the gun. On a shooter gun, not a bad thing to my mind. Protects from the elements in the field. By serial number I believe it to be a later or "Remington era" gun. Looks like I see the tell tale "Parker" engraved on the bottom of the receiver.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #7
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,566 Times in 379 Posts

Never really looked for a Trojan until I saw a 20ga 28 inch one and like you said I had to have it, that was 4 plus years ago, still one of my favorite Parker's. I'm no expert but I also thought the wood was redone. Nice gun
The Following User Says Thank You to James L. Martin For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 07:32 PM   #8
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Doty View Post
I think re-blued from the weep hole in the bottom rib just in front of the extractor passage, stock looks a bit too "fresh" for the honest wear on the gun. On a shooter gun, not a bad thing to my mind. Protects from the elements in the field. By serial number I believe it to be a later or "Remington era" gun. Looks like I see the tell tale "Parker" engraved on the bottom of the receiver.
Hi Keith. I haven't gotten to the Trojan section of The Parker Story, almost there. But yes it does have "Parker" engraved on the bottom but will have to figure out the significance of that.
Unread 01-17-2021, 07:50 PM   #9
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,674 Times in 2,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
Hi Keith. I haven't gotten to the Trojan section of The Parker Story, almost there. But yes it does have "Parker" engraved on the bottom but will have to figure out the significance of that.
The Remington guns had Parker engraved on the bottom of the gun instead of the side of the receiver. Nice find Andy. That’ll be a great shooter for you. If you shoot it for a while and decide you want to open the chokes, I know a guy. It’s a shooter piece, not a collector piece. Nothing wrong with M/F or even LM/IM. Our shooting styles are much different than the prevailing methods of 100 years ago. We don’t need F/F to kill everything. Take each gun on a case by case thought process.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 01-17-2021, 07:59 PM   #10
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,352 Posts

Very nice Trojan. That must be one of the very last Trojan's made. I see two date codes on the left barrel flat -- an EG (E = October & G = 1938), and a WH (W = August & H = 1939). The Trojan is gone from the January 2, 1939, The Parker Gun Retail Price List. I looked in The Parker Story and they don't mention the last Trojan by serial number in the Trojan chapter. What is the highest serial number Trojan in Parkers Found?
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote