Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 09-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Bibb,I would guess thats exactly what happened. They were damaged or someone told him that they were unsafe and the gun was send off to be sleeved/monoblocked.
Unread 09-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,194 Times in 12,369 Posts

Bibb, it's sad that the barrels have been sleeved but most folks didn't know that Damascus barrels are perfectly safe to shoot with appropriate loads. A lot of Damascus barrels were discarded or sleeved back in the day. The ammunition companies and gun manufacturers told us so.... It was a conspiracy to get people to buy new guns and the new smokeless ammo.... too bad.

The cutouts in the extractor for the firing pins are not unusual for a 1902 (approx.) Parker.

The checkering pattern on the forend is that of a Grade-1 (VH) Parker and quite different from checkering pattern for the Grade-2 (GH) gun that you have.

The buttplate and screws are correct to the gun

We'd like to see pictures of the entire buttstock and detailed pictures of the checkering on the grip.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,960 Times in 1,418 Posts

Dean and Dave,

A couple of things lead me to believe the gun is a mixture of non original parts. Certainly the barrels are not original but the block is. The top rib looks like the word "Special" uses a different font type, I'm guessing that Damascus was filed out and Special inserted??? Bibb, can you check and see if you see a damascus pattern? It may be more visable looking at the side of the rib instead of the top that has the matting on it.

Also, the pistol grip cap and the buttplate are the wrong style for that period of gun manufacture.

Dean, you said that the notches seen on the ejector is not uncommon. The Parker Story shows a picture of an early hammerless gun with notches on the extractor but that's a gun made in 1890 with a s/n of 57K. They doubled their gun production by the time Bibb's gun was made. It would be easy to find out if the extractor is original if Bibb could examine the extractor by looking for the last 3 digits of the serial number. The 3 digits are probably on the backside face of the extractor

Interesting gun.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,194 Times in 12,369 Posts

You may be right about the extractor not being original to that gun but I had a GH 12 ga. ser. # 116XXX (don't remember the last 3) with the very same notches.... but then, I never checked for the three digits on the backside of mine.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
Bibb Gault
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck,Dean and Dave.
Rear of extractor is stamped 514, so it must have been ordered that way. My pic is misleading because it was shot off axis. I believe the extractor had damage from hitting the firing pins at some point and that they are not "notched". The marks/notches are very un uniform. The rib sides do not show any Damascus pattern.

I am wondering if the other Parkers that labeled as "parts guns" were in fact purchased for that.

1st. gun... 20ga #85642 P grade,0 frame. 28" twist barrels with extractor. Gun is functional, but missing stock/butt and a piece of internal linkage for the safety. All numbers match. Can a stock and safety linkage be had for this gun so it can be made shot again without breaking the bank? Gun has minor surface rust, but the barrel bores look spotless.

2nd. gun... 20 ga Trojan. 178175, 28" Trojan Steel barrels,extractor . Gun is complete and functional except for catastrophic failure of the right barrel. How hard is it/costly to fit a set of used barrels at make this a user again?

Thanks, I notice this forum has some sort of system for thanking members. How does this work?
Bibb

Last edited by Bibb Gault; 09-15-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Bibb Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #16
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Bibb you simply hit the thumbs up icon in the lower right corner.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 09-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #17
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,960 Times in 1,418 Posts

Bibb,

You have many options, it all depends on whether or not you want to sell or keep your guns.

The 28ga gun. The gun is worth considerable money as is. The fact that the barrels have been sleeved and the rib marking altered is the biggest money loser versus had the barrels been original. If you plan on keeping it and shooting it as is, I would spend a little money and have a good stockmaker fix the wood, put on a correct buttplate either original or reproduction, refinish, and just shoot it. Prior to shooting it, I would have a qualified vintage gunsmith check it out first. If you want the barrels replaced, I believe Simmons Gun Specialities are starting to make 28ga new barrels with the correct rib inscription. Check other threads on this forum for more information. If you have Simmons make new barrels, it would increase the value of your gun over what it is now but less than if original. In other words if you replace the barrels you should be able to recoup your investment in the barrels and more. JMHO! Others may disagree.

The 20 ga PH It's hard to find an original 20 Parker stock and even if you do, there is no guarantee that a stockmaker could make it fit. Better to have a stockmaker make you a new stock to your dimensions. Figure on 2K-3K for this. The internal linkage should not be a problem finding parts or having a gunsmith make one.

The 20 ga Trojan: This may need some searching but may be possible to find. Go to the "Parker Parts and Shotgun Parts for Sale" forum and post a Wanted to Buy thread and see what happens. Also, check the gun auction sites. Sometimes they are for sale.

Good luck,
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 09-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #18
Bibb Gault
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck,Dean and Dave,

You guys have been super helpful and I really appreciate your expert opinions.

Since my 28ga has been kind of bastardized,should I save time, money,further depression{just joking} and not bother having an apprasal done on this gun? My original intent was to sell this gun and put the money towards another firearm that could be used without the worry associated with a "collectable firearm" like a 28ga. Parker. Would any of you guys care to make a guess at what someone will ACTUALLY PAY for a 28ga like this one that has been "jacked with"? If the devaluation is severe enough, I will just keep it and shoot it. I have 20-25 boxes of shells for this gun. I realize none of you have actually held and inspected this gun, but it would helpful if I could get some sort of price range that you think it might sell for so I have an idea as how to proceed. Also, would I have difficulty selling this 28ga at any price due to the mods that have been done?

Thanks,
Bibb
Bibb Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #19
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

That gun has been worked over but looks absolutely ready for birds to me. I wouldn't let loose of it for A N Y amount of money, especially since it's a family gun. It looks perfectly fine to me; not original, but ready to hunt and as safe as a new gun. I think that if you take it out and shoot some clays with it you'll be in love instantly. If you hunt with it, you'll be totally smitten... totally... think hard before you decide to sell it.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote