Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 01-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #51
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

nice clean up oin your dads gun...bet shes killed a few deer in her time from the looks of the bladed sights...the old gun is something the family should be proud of...she looks to be in shooting shape now if the barrels are ok....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #52
Matto
PGCA Member

Member Info

Frank Victor Hanson Jr. (Sonny), my uncle was 9 years old when he shot his first deer with the ole 10 gauge. Sonny was in the 87th division, 2nd battalion, 347th Infantry Company "H". Fought in the battle of the bulge and was a great hunter. He died in 1964 when the car he was working on fell on him. To this day I use his Remington 30-06 and some day I would love to go hunting with the 10 gauge to complete the cycle of a Hanson hunter.

matt
Matthew Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Barrels
Unread 01-03-2016, 11:25 PM   #53
Dean Hanson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Barrels

The barrels are pitted lightly, throughout. Disappointed to see them in this condition. Left hammer seems loose, and both hammers need replacement screws. Action is loose as well. Having said that, Matt and I are planning a trip this spring to Brad Bachelder, he does not know it yet, to see what we can do in terms of shooting the gun. I just want to hear the old reliable one time. My hopes are high but realistic. Thanks again to everyone with great tips and advice. One time gun Gods.......ONE TIME!
Dean H Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #54
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

The gun has its issues, but it has a lot of good going for it. Nice solid looking wood and surface finish that is not all that bad. Obviously the glaring issues are centered around the barrels. If you wanted to correct them, it would require refinishing the barrels and maybe some rib work, but it all should be able to be done to be able to return this gun to its former bird shooting glory.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 01-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #55
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i agree with what brian said...brad is a very good gunsmith from what i have seen of his work..you might could tighten up the old gun yourseves...take a piece of paper about 3 thousands thick put a small piece of it around thehing pin..if this is not enough double the paper..if this tightens it up you can use a pop can cut a piece out of it and fit it around the hingpin it will last longer than the paper...you can also fit the paper around the forearm were it meets the hing pin...good luck and keep us posted on the outcome..charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #56
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Just my take on things but If I had a family gun as you do and your uncle used this great gun to hunt deer with
I would have the rifle sights properly installed at the time of restoration and keep the gun just as your uncle used it. Call me a romantic or whatever....
Unread 01-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #57
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,559 Times in 773 Posts

I concur most whole heartedly
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Unread 01-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #58
Dean Hanson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

After discussing restoration verses repairing, with all parties involved on our end, we have decided to go with just cleaning and repair. After doing some research on "pricing" for repairs I know the gun needs, not sure if everyone will be on board, or if they want the gun repaired at all. My hopes are to get approval, even if it means the cost falls on me. If it is wall hanger, so be it. I want to see this through, either way. This gun has grown in to my soul with all the money, time and work I have put into it. I know now how my Dad feels about the gun.
Dean H Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean H Hanson For Your Post:
Unread 01-05-2016, 07:59 PM   #59
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Before your father is gone you might inquire as to weather they used slugs or buckshot or a round ball in the ten ga to hunt deer. Those sights may look a lot better to you if the gun was accurate. As for myself I think they are cool just as they are.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post: