Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Swan loads
Unread 09-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
Jeff Elder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Swan loads

I'm in the draw for swan hunting in North Carolina this season. I want to take my VH 12. What size shot should I take BB or 2's?
Jeff Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Jeff Elder's homepage!
Unread 09-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,226 Times in 12,373 Posts

Do you plan to take body shots or head and neck shots?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-09-2020, 10:50 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,531 Times in 3,404 Posts

I’ve got a friend that’s plunked two of the swans with a Parker 28 shooting factory loaded #4 Bismuth one shot each and his friend hunting with him used a Remington 11/48 28 same load two shots two swans . Just saying .
Unread 09-10-2020, 12:35 AM   #4
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,177 Times in 631 Posts

I always like the old saying BB stands for "Big Bird". I think another variable is how close your shots will be, and you might not know that until you get there. I shot one 2 years ago with a 10 gauge Parker and black powder shells loaded with BBs. My shot was 15-20 yards and I dropped the swan first shot. In that situation, you could have used a much smaller shot and gauge. Though I was mighty proud to have done it with a Parker hammer gun and brass shells...

Last year, there was another blind close by that messed up the shooting. Shots this time were 40-50 yards. I brought an original sxs muzzleloader(with cylinder chokes), because by now I thought swan hunting was easy. I took 2 shots at a 40 yard bird and didn't come close. My friends with autoloaders had open chokes too and they didn't get any either.

So next time I will be prepared for both situations(close and far). I think #2s would work all day long. I have a Sandhill Crane hunt in December and RST loaded me 10 gauge 2 7/8" 1 3/8oz Bismuth #2's at 1225fps. I would use those shells swan hunting as well(not in my hammer gun, but in a DH #3 frame.

In a 12 sxs I would go with #2s. These are big birds and if you have to make a farther shot I would want bigger sized shot and tighter chokes. In close, open chokes(would help) and I still like the bigger shot sizes. However, in close even a 28 gauge with #4s would certainly work(as Craig mentioned)...If I can ever save up for a 28 gauge Parker I will try it

I should be going this year too and I will have all bases covered this time...

Good Luck!
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 09-10-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

http://www.rivermenrodandgunclub.com...endations.html
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 09-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

Large shot used specifically for swan shooting was known in this country as early as 1775. Iroquois hunters routinely referenced and requested it from both French and British traders. I have never seen a notation of its true size (e.g., #2, BB, etc.) but undoubtedly it was a "standardized" size preferred for swans and geese.
Kevin McCormack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,834 Times in 2,362 Posts

Actual "swan shot" is not spherical, it is more like an elongated raindrop in shape. A couple of decades ago Headrick gave me a small vial of it but I can't seem to lay my hands on it right now. Here is a video on how to make your own for a muzzle loader.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

This guy's "swan shot" is far less uniform than I remember the stuff Headrick gave me..

From this 1905 ad it appears the Winchester Model 1897 and Winchester LEADER or REPEATER shells are just the ticket for the big birds.

Swan ad 1905.jpg
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #8
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

I never said it was spherical - I was merely trying to approximate the diameter of the head of the projectile relative to known standard shot sizes at the time - BB, #2, #4, etc.

The additional SP gravity/ mass of the 'tail' is a definite bonus impact-velocity wise. Sort of like measuring the head of Haley's Comet, which I'm sure NASA has done, then calculating the "freight train" effect of e=mc2 on the caboose.

Your have to go through your shop and find Headrick's vial of sample shot. I need pics of it to select a proper sieve size for smelting my own swan loads. I don't think my wife's pasta collanders' holes are big enough and I don't feel like asking her if I can drill them out.

Then I'll have to go out and buy a used MEC 600 10 gauge press to do hand loads and try to modify it for 8 ga. Then I'll have to buy an 8 gauge SxS with a heavy enough frame to handle these whompers and have 10 ga. inserts made for it to fool the warden if he checks me. (Maybe I can get my good buddy Morris Baker to load me a run of a couple of boxes of 3 1/2"-4" shells of non-toxic shot). Then I can apply for a swan permit in some legal state within driving distance.

THANKS A LOT, DAVE!
Kevin McCormack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2020, 03:04 AM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,861 Times in 4,750 Posts

Kevin, I have a lifetime supply of Eley bismuth eight gauge ammo and a good selection of eight gauge guns with inserts. If you can arrange a reliable swan guide in NC, I will supply the guns and ammo.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

bill is those inserts 8 ga to 10 ga or 8 ga to 12 ga...I have the 8 ga to 12 ga inserts...I have shot several of the 3 1/2 inch 12 ga magnum shells thru them....those 12 ga magnums still kick pretty good in those heavy 8 ga guns....I wish I had the 8 ga to 10 ga inserts....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote