Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #11
Spin Drift
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I've been shooting for a long time. Started with a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex B (Dad's) then to a Contax RTS, added a Hasselblad 501C. Went point and shoot digital in late 90's with Olympus, then with the advent of 24mp sensors (finally caught up to Kodachrome 64) I went Nikon FX DSLR (D610, D750, D850) and swapped the D610 and money for a Mirrorless Z7.

All these decisions were based on a concept known as image quality. IQ on the Z7 is outstanding. It's not to big even with the Kit zoom (24 - 70 F4). At 46.9 megapixels you will be able to pick out the eyelashes on the photographer reflected in the iris of the subject"s eyes.

If you just want snaps then use your camera phone, if you want pictures then get a real camera. BTW I still have all the above gear except for the D610. Just my 2 cents.
Michael Moffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #12
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

One can't question the difference between a 'Real camera" and the lesser options..

Now we get into portability...while at the same time wanting the best pic possible, even with snaps. Up, round and down, the camera will be carried on what may be a long day. The weight of something like you Z7 is not that big of an issue..however convenience of carry along with a shotgun or rifle is.

One could throw it in you pack, but that doesn't seem wise.. nor would one want it around your neck..

Solution????
Unread 09-02-2020, 12:46 AM   #13
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I've been a staunch Canon point and shoot fan for a long long time, but they aren't much good any longer and don't last long and many have issues straight out of the box. I have three S 100's now and when the primary unit barfs I'll just toss it and get another out of the box. They work well enough and have a built in GPS which is nice for me, but overall, they're not near as good as they used to be.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #14
Spin Drift
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Do you need to shoot digital? If not an M3 Leica has Great IQ and is very portable.
Unread 09-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #15
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

No, not necessary....Just would like something to up the image quality....
Thanks, will look into it...

Addition....Now isn't that a blast from the past....Very cool!!!!!
Unread 09-09-2020, 06:12 PM   #16
Patrick Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

I would recommend one of the Panasonic LUMIX "point and shoot" cameras. They are great for travel and hiking and they use Leica lenses for very sharp pictures. Mine has an optical zoom lens which works very well. You can find new "old stock" on eBay for half price. Be sure to buy an extra battery and make sure it fits that exact camera.
Patrick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
M3 Leica
Unread 09-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #17
Patrick Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default M3 Leica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moffa View Post
Do you need to shoot digital? If not an M3 Leica has Great IQ and is very portable.
Yes, the M3 is very nice, but I am too old to fuss with film and spent my Leica dollars and day pack weight on a pair of Ultravid 8 X 42.
Patrick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #18
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
especially with the collapsible 50mm lens on it - I carry it in an inside pocket on a sport coat or lightweight jacket - but few folks want to shoot film any longer - no instant gratification
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSL_5564 edit.jpg (495.1 KB, 1 views)
Unread 09-09-2020, 10:40 PM   #19
Spin Drift
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Mr. Osthaus:

Very nice Leica. For point and shoot while traveling for work overseas I use a Nikon Coolpix with 12mpeg sensor. Nto being able to really control the DOF and exposure are the only draw backs. One thing about the Nikon Mirrorless Z cameras is that the big mount lets me shoot my Contax Zeiss glass using and adapter.
Unread 09-10-2020, 08:09 AM   #20
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Mr. Osthaus:

Very nice Leica. For point and shoot while traveling for work overseas I use a Nikon Coolpix with 12mpeg sensor. Nto being able to really control the DOF and exposure are the only draw backs. One thing about the Nikon Mirrorless Z cameras is that the big mount lets me shoot my Contax Zeiss glass using and adapter.
thanks -

the Nikon point and shoots are quite nice- I got one of the newer ones as a gift for my wife a couple years ago, takes very nice photos (but then again - i've been a Nikon guy since the 60's - I still carry an F2 in the truck)

the digital camera market has stratified over the last little while - point and shoots or as I call them PHS (push here stupid ) have been especially affected

the entry level / lower cost models have been over whelmed by cell phones

and the good ones are not much less expensive than the entry level mirrorless cameras so demand is declining for them