Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Unread 05-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
Rick Roemer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Hi. I’ll start with the good. Finally got out turkey hunting with Dad yesterday here in Ohio. Perfect morning with gobblers on all corners sounding off. 20 minutes after sunrise Dad called one in close enough for a shot. Using my Model 21 Heavy Duck gun, one shot and Mr. Tom was lights out- clean.

Packed up and headed home. Pulled the gun out of its case to take some pics with the bird to discover - The Bad! The left barrel is completely split at the muzzle. Needless to say I am thankful no one was injured or worse (more Good)

Obviously I have questions and I’d like to hear members opinions on what went wrong. I use this gun infrequently, maybe once a year on waterfowl - in fact the last goose I shot with it was my dog, Bock’s final retrieve. Good memories.

I also use it for a yearly turkey hunt. Many times no shots taken. And I’ve shot it at clays we throw in the back yard. Being a fairly heavy gun, it’s not used much.

Standard practice for me is bore snake and wipe down before any gun goes back in the safe -always.

Going to the field yesterday I put it in my floating gun case since it has a strap- makes it easier to carry the gun, along with everything else.

So of course the questions are what happened and what can be done?
I know there was no obstruction left in the barrel from the last time I used it. I always use the bore snake and I look down the barrels to make sure they’re clean after I pull it through.
I carried the gun to my spot in a sealed case. I sit on the ground, I really don’t think the muzzles ever were stuck into mud, etc.

I’ve never had barrels do this. Do the pictures indicate anything definite? Am I using too hot of loads for this model 21 magnum shotgun ? I shoot the Kent shells more than these new Winchester turkey loads I picked up for the hunt. In fact, this was the only shell I have shot from the box.

Could this gun be repaired (unlikely) or could the barrels be cut and new chokes fitted? If I found a set of replacement barrels would they likely need to be fitted to the frame like a Parker? Are barrels ever for sale ? What would you do with this gun in my situation ? I wouldn’t call it extremely fine condition but it’s far from abused. 32” barrels, full and full.

Thanks for your input - and as for the Ugly... there’s a reason my profile picture is of my dogs instead of myself !

George Bird Evans
Rick Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote