Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 03-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

look for turkey sign today and i ran across a lot of sign...it had rained the day before so seeing a track was no problem...i seen at least 7 differant set of gobbler tracks today made early this morning i think..they could have been made the evening before but i didnt think so...all the tracks were good and long ecpecially one set of tracks....lots of hen sign also so things are looking pretty good for the morning hunt....supposed to be in the 70s tommorrow but it was cool this morning we had a pretty good frost last night so maybe them turkeys wont get the lockjaw in the morning.... im shootin a winchester no 5 out of the right barrel and a remington no 4 out of the left barrel...so like the old song ofif the right one dont get you then the left one will...gota get up early will tell the results tommorrow night.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Shoot straight.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

well i havenot reported in lately so i willtry to catch up on the up dates of turkey hunting..all last week i chased turkeys early and late...i was hearing and seeing turkeys every day but not till fiiday did my chance arrive..the previous day i was busted by 2 big gobblers that sneaked in from behind me they never had made a sound till they spotted me some way or another..i had a gobbler coming to me in frontnearly in shooting distance when they gave the put put sound and has all you turkey hunters no you might as well go to the house cause you been busted...gobbler in front also heard them and vanished.. but friday was the day i will not forget...i got the woods about 1/2 hour before daylight.. i carried my decoys and set them up in a field were i hunt sometimes.. after daylight i heard 3 gobblers 2 of them did not gobble much but the 3rd one was very noisy he gobbled at every sound...i would have guessed the turkey was a mile away but i know for sure he was 3/4 mile away.. i started calling to him at 7.00 he must have gobbled at least a 100 times or more on his way to me..i thought twice he must have hens with him he kinda got hung up and would not come closer..but finally he began to steadly close the distance..there was fog vapors rising in the air as the sun shone on that field finall at about 250 yards i saw him making his way to the hen decoys...he sure was a sight long beard hanging down sun catching every glistening feather...he would stop and stretch that long neck looking at those hens i would cluck to him and then he would spin and drum awhile..then he would stop motionless in full strut showing those hen decoys all of his beautiful self..then he wouldmake a few more steps all the while gobbling at every cluck i made to him...finally he was almost in shooting distance.. my decoys were at 30 steps i estimated him to be at 45 steps i thought for sure he would come in a few steps closer but during his spinning around and showing off in front of the ladies he had worked hisself out to 50 steps..finally he let his wings down and said heck with you ladies ..i had made a mistake i had laid my call a box call down so the hens were not saying anything so he lost interest in them...as he started watking off sideways leaviny the ladies behind i knew that he was leaving..i estimated the range between 45 and 48 steps so i made the decision to shoot... i was shooting a 3 in lc smith double using no 4 and 5 shot...i fierd the right barrel with the 4s in it and the old gobbler went down...he flopped around some and i started toward him and all at once he jumped up and started running then got on his wings i fierd the 4s at him hit him again he flew about 150 steps and crashed into a tree line..as i stopped and reloaded i said to myself hell be right there were he crashed...when i got there i was a surprized fellow no turkey.. i hunted him for a good while but never found him... i was a very sick hunter indeed...i re thought the hunt several times even re traced the shot this morning...all said and done ive killed lots of turkeys that far but i gues it was my fault..the range turned out to be 55 steps in reality just a little to far for no 5s...i will miss this old bird he gobbled faithfully every morning for me.. a turkey hunter does not run into a gobbler like this one very often...i believe as im getting a little younger now that my judging distances his getting bad....read this story and dont make the same mistake i did...im gonna get me a range finder...looks like rough hunting weather here for the next few days and being sick for crippling that fine old bird dont make it any better.... charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 04-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #14
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Nobody likes it but sometimes it just happens, wounding game makes one sad.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

listen well this morning heard 1 gobblewr but he was 2 miles away...stayed in woods till 9.00 and noexcitement going on....drove by a big field going home large gobbler at half a mile needed some bodys cannon to get him...was coming home and large hen was standing in my drive... ive hunted hard but no success yet...but have not give up... charlie
Unread 04-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Keep at it Charlie, keep at it.

Too bad about your lost bird - I've been there and I know just how bad you felt... makes you feel terrible.
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

This just in....

My cousin in northeastern Ohio manages his 50 acre farm for turkey and deer and this picture was taken with his trail-cam today near a small deer feeding station at the back end of one of his pastures.

Thay look delicious don't they?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-7-'11_Ohio_Longbeards.jpg (114.9 KB, 3 views)
Unread 04-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #18
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

would love to have been there in a good blind...i love to watch the turkeys do their thing... thanks for sharing pictures... charlie
Unread 04-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Maybe we'll soon be showing pictures of big ol' gobblers posing alongside our Parkers.
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #20
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

amen brother ben to that..maybe they will let a picture of a off brand like lc smith be in a picture with a big gobbler... charlie