Notices

Deformed screw slots
Unread 03-20-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,233 Times in 1,200 Posts

Default Deformed screw slots

Often we see deformed screw slots on an otherwise nice vintage double gun. I try not to chastise the old time owners; the screw slots on American doubles were usually only about .020 to .025" wide and the gent probably tried his best using what he had for a screwdriver.

Anyone who's tried to replace one of these screws must first find a NOS screw or make a new one on the lathe. The head diameter, shank and thread must be correct, the slot when tightened must be timed and then its head must be contoured perfectly and without damaging the surface of the surround. New engraving needs to be done to match the original screw head. All of this is very difficult and time consuming.

It's far easier to re-use the original screw that was fitted to the gun. I do that by having the sides of the slot microwelded by a long time friend who does it as a favor. The supermacro pic shows (two) Fox Sterlingworth screws and (one) for an Ithaca Number 2 NID. They're held against a small round magnet sitting on my bench lathe and a regular shotgun 209 primer is included for size comparison. They came in the mail today and I still need to clean up the slots with a .020" thick screw slot file and work down the tiny weld beads absolutely even with the surface of the screw heads and leaving the engraving intact. I do the latter in a jig that’s sized for each maker and using a small belt sander. Lastly I'll faux color to match the frame.

One of the welding techs at my friend's company told me they do microwelding under a MICROSCOPE and sometimes with filler wire as small as .003" diameter. Hardly something you could do at home with your Harbor Freight TIG welder.

I'm posting this for your info to show what can be done. Now, the last time I posted about microwelding parts I was overloaded with requests to ask my friend if he would do this or that, weld up holes in composite barrels, swivel holes in underribs, etc. The answer is his emphatic NO. His business is way too busy with other primary work. Nevertheless for those who like to do their own work there are microwelders all over the country and you should be able to find one with a little time and effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9953.JPG (350.3 KB, 4 views)
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote