Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 03-25-2020, 07:11 AM   #11
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

Glad you guys don't call me on a regular basis if you find those guys hard to understand
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2020, 07:21 AM   #12
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,405 Times in 3,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris dawe View Post
Glad you guys don't call me on a regular basis if you find those guys hard to understand
Truer words were never spoken. Had Scottish not been my second language, my first conversation with Mr. Dawe, some years ago might have also been my last.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #13
Sheepherder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Chis, I doubt you would be hard to understand, for me. My maternal-grandfather was born & raised in St. Johns, NF. He migrated to Pennsylvania 100 yrs. ago, right after returning from WWI. I'd give a great deal to hear his voice today.
Hal
Hal Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hal Sheets For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #14
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,405 Times in 3,075 Posts

In these times of security awareness, and digital encryption, people are putting their trust in high tech solutions. However, Chris and I have found an age proven method of conversion with absolutely no fear of eves dropping. We make sure to have had at least 4 gils of single malt into us before we initiate contact.
Oftentimes it’s so effective that when I hang up, I don’t even know what we talked about.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #15
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Haaaaaa!
Unread 03-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #16
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Sheets View Post
Chis, I doubt you would be hard to understand, for me. My maternal-grandfather was born & raised in St. Johns, NF. He migrated to Pennsylvania 100 yrs. ago, right after returning from WWI. I'd give a great deal to hear his voice today.
Hal
After that war ,he probably couldent look at the island the same ,many couldn't we lost most of the male population in that one ....funny story people from Pennsylvania contacted my family in the mid eighties ,distant relatives apparently....old man wanted nothing to do with them figured they were up to no good- yep ,that was Dad.

I really wish we made contact ,would've been interesting
The Following User Says Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #17
Sheepherder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris dawe View Post
After that war ,he probably couldent look at the island the same ,many couldn't we lost most of the male population in that one ....funny story people from Pennsylvania contacted my family in the mid eighties ,distant relatives apparently....old man wanted nothing to do with them figured they were up to no good- yep ,that was Dad.

I really wish we made contact ,would've been interesting
Yes, The War took it toll on Newfoundland families. Our family was luckier than most, my grandfather (Edgar) and his brother (Sidney) both made it back. Although, Uncle Sid had been wounded the first day of the Somme. Our family name was Willar and many of their cousins had the last name of Tilley. Any Willars or Tilleys in your family tree?
A story passed down in our family was; My great-grandfather (who ran a sail making business) hunted the barrens, with friends, a week at a time. They'd go out by train with a trunk full of food and a wall tent. The birds they got went into paper bags in the trunk as the food was eaten. Then when they got back to St. Johns they cleaned the birds. Yummy !
Hal
Hal Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #18
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Sheets View Post
Yes, The War took it toll on Newfoundland families. Our family was luckier than most, my grandfather (Edgar) and his brother (Sidney) both made it back. Although, Uncle Sid had been wounded the first day of the Somme. Our family name was Willar and many of their cousins had the last name of Tilley. Any Willars or Tilleys in your family tree?
A story passed down in our family was; My great-grandfather (who ran a sail making business) hunted the barrens, with friends, a week at a time. They'd go out by train with a trunk full of food and a wall tent. The birds they got went into paper bags in the trunk as the food was eaten. Then when they got back to St. Johns they cleaned the birds. Yummy !
Hal
Yessir the island was reared on Ptarmigan , sadly the numbers aren't what they once were ...no Tillys or Willars in my family tree I know of but here's a few around town