Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Guess I am a Parker Collector now!
Unread 07-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
Mike Mc
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Guess I am a Parker Collector now!

I bought my second Parker yesterday, so I guess I am officially a collector now. After 3 years hunting and shooting clays with my first Parker, I saw another at my favorite gun shop that really spoke to me. My first Parker was a definite field grade VH 12ga, manufactured in 1898, and still pretty much in all original condition. Along with friends, with my first Parker, I have broken a lot of clays in Texas and shot a few Pheasants in Iowa.

My second Parker is a GHE 12ga. manufactured in 1890. It is a bit of a mixmaster, like my M1s. The original Damascus barrels were replaced in 1964 with Austrian Bohler-Blitz-Stahl steel barrels made by Johan Fanzoi in Ferlach, Austria. The original splinter forearm was replaced perhaps at the same time by a beavertail forearm with a different serial number than the frame. The original frame has nice engraving, while the case hardening is gone, but the fancy walnut stock is in great condition. Can't wait for Pheasant season this fall.
Mike McAnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Good job. Post some photos as we love photos on here. Welcome to PGCA too.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,424 Times in 4,595 Posts

Is it actually a GHE? Or just a GH. Being made in 1890, it would not have originally been equipt with ejectors. Parker did not introduce them until 1901/1902. So your may have been aftermarket, or returned to the factory at a later date for them to be added.
Unread 07-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
Mike Mc
PGCA Member

Member Info

The water table markings on the hammerless frame is a "G" so it was built in 1890, so I guess it classes as a GH. Replacement barrels were fitted after 1964 and included the ejectors. The original barrels were likely Parker Damascus, and the replacement barrels are Bohler Blitz Stahl fluid steel made in 1964 by Jon. Fanzol in Fertag, Austria. The bores are sparkling. A Parker Beavertail forearm made in 1910 was added in place of the original Splinter forearm. Engravings are on the frame sides, bottom, screw heads, lever and barrel, including ducks and woodcocks or pheasants. The screw heads look untouched and are properly aligned. The walnut stock has fancy figuring in the grain, and looks like it may have been refinished at some time. The butt plate is not original -- it is a rubber recoil pad that is unmarked and in good condition. So what I have is a nicely restored shooter.
Unread 07-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Sounds like a real nice gun. I'm interested to see pics of the barrels and stock. How long are barrels?
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 12-31-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
Mike Mc
PGCA Member

Member Info

Surprise for me, the second Parker is a 16 gauge. There is no gauge marking on the barrels or rib, which are the Fertag Austrian steel barrels added in the 1960's. So when I tried to insert a 12 gauge the chambers were clearly too small. Then tried a 20 gauge and it dropped in side the chamber and I had to push it out with a ramrod. By elimination, 16 gauge is just right. I will work on some photos. And I need to get a Parker letter for it -- there is the serial number for the receiver, and a different later serial number for the beavertail forearm. I am really please with this gun.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike McAnelly For Your Post:
Unread 01-01-2016, 02:05 AM   #7
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

Johan Fanzoi...he is pretty damn reputable ,just look it up

Mike Mc ,you have a great gun with great replacement barrels - horseshit #"s be damned ,shoot the gun and enjoy it .

I can't be more plain than that...and seriously Brian ,why nit pick ? if you know anything about sxs guns -Fanzoi is pretty up there ...if you know anything top tier European guns .

Three or four years hands on the bench experience - on North American guns don't make an expert on everything sxs ,best educate infinitum first and comment later ...bottom line....

This should be good !
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 01-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

Congrats Mike on your new to you Parker, I started with a P grade 25 years ago and now?well lets just say it sort of grows on you. All Parkers are great guns and a 16 gauge G is a great second gun, enjoy, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 01-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,424 Times in 4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris dawe View Post

I can't be more plain than that...and seriously Brian ,why nit pick ? if you know anything about sxs guns -Fanzoi is pretty up there ...if you know anything top tier European guns .

Three or four years hands on the bench experience - on North American guns don't make an expert on everything sxs ,best educate infinitum first and comment later ...bottom

Happy new year to you too.

Was there anything in my post (from 6 months ago) other than asking about if his gun did have ejectors or not?

Why the hostility?
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 01-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
Mike Mc
PGCA Member

Member Info

[QUOTE=Brian Dudley;184686]Happy new year to you too.

Was there anything in my post (from 6 months ago) other than asking about if his gun did have ejectors or not?QUOTE]

Yes, the replacement barrels do have ejectors. The chambers are 2-3/4". The overall finish of the gun looks like it was restored at the time the barrels were changed out, sometime in the 60's. The bluing and wood are very good condition, and the recoil pad is not original. The engraving on the receiver is original, and the replacement barrels have complimentary engraving that matches with the receiver. Definitely a shooter.