Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

2" English Game Guns
Unread 05-27-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,196 Times in 891 Posts

Default 2" English Game Guns

Does anyone know how the 2" 12 gauge shells generally pattern? I know there are may variables involved in how a gun patterns, but generally speaking are the 2" shell know for good patterns? Thanks
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

They are specialized item....I have owned one 26" English gun at 5lbs 4oz. I used RST paper 7.5# Gun patterned very good, little recoil, barrels do foul out....no plastic wads to hold the shot. I did not shoot the gun well at all, it did not fit me, was a little short and was whippy. I may look for a 2" gun with 28" barrels, closer to 6lbs and better dimensions that fit me correctly. I like the concept. If you get a gun I have a flat of RST for sale. thanks all....SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 05-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,566 Times in 379 Posts

I have a 2 inch Midland and it shoots very good patterns with both RST 2" 15/16oz # 6 & 7 and Gamebore 2" 7/8oz 6 & 7. I just wish RST loaded 7/8 instead of 15/16. All those loads really kick in a 5lb 8oz gun. I know RST loads 3/4 oz but then I would rather use a 28ga.
The Following User Says Thank You to James L. Martin For Your Post:
Unread 05-28-2020, 01:57 AM   #4
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

My 2” patterns well. I don’t think it is any better than a 2.5” gun. I use RST 7/8 and 15/16 oz loads. I really think the recoil is not noticeable. I bought a flat of Gamebore shells and the recoil is painful. I don’t want to shoot a box of Gambores in one outing. The gun weighs 5 lbs 8 oz. I understand some will argue a 7/8 oz 2” 12 is a square load and patterns better, but it would be minimal (if at all).

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 05-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Why buy a 2”” English gun when you can use 2” shells in the 12 you like to shoot most and the one that patterns best for you?

Lots of folks load their own twelve gauge 2.5” shells with 7/8 oz. and do not feel handicapped in the least either at SC, Skeet or on the upland birds we have here in the East.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,196 Times in 891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Why buy a 2”” English gun when you can use 2” shells in the 12 you like to shoot most and the one that patterns best for you?

Lots of folks load their own twelve gauge 2.5” shells with 7/8 oz. and do not feel handicapped in the least either at SC, Skeet or on the upland birds we have here in the East

You can Dean but if you are seeking a very light 12 gauge, for the most part a 2" only chambered gun will give you that very light weight. I do not think I am interested in purchasing one, just doing some research.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

I’d like to try a Churchill XXV chambered in 2”

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #8
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

As Mr. Hodges points out, the major raison d' etre of the 2" 12-bore was to combine the perceived pattern advantages of the 12-bore with the weight and handling advantages of the 16 or 20-bore. In many instances, it worked. But not well enough to last for long.

And... a Churchill XXV in 2" would be fantastic!
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 05-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #9
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

A friend of mine recently acquired a 2" 12 and it is quite nice. I helped him measure the barrels during his inspection period.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 05-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #10
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

A 2” 12 is something you don’t see often as few were made in the 1930s. The Brit gunmakers made these light weight guns with great handling qualities. You basically have a 12 gauge proportional gun in the 5.5 lb weight class; lighter than a smaller proportioned 20 gauge. They aren’t an all purpose gun, but something made to support a passing light weight fad in the 1930s. Charles Lancaster came out with 2” pigmy cartridges in the late 1890s and advertised you could carry more cartridges than the normal 2.5” cartridge.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post: