Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker help/advice
Unread 05-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
Steve Wilson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker help/advice

Hello everyone, first time poster from South Dakota. I'm sure most of you have had this question a 1,000 times and hate it, but you all seem to be experts on these beauties so here I go!

I acquired a old Parker in a estate type deal. I have no idea what I have here and everything I try and look up online just confuses me more and actually led me back here.

So my question to you fine gents, what do have, is it worth anything, should I sell it or keep it, worth restoring? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2189.jpg (512.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2191.jpg (510.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2192.jpg (491.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2193.jpg (507.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2194.jpg (501.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2198.jpg (492.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2201.jpg (509.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2203.jpg (582.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2204.jpg (569.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2210.jpg (537.4 KB, 18 views)
Steve Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve Wilson For Your Post:
Unread 05-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
ED J, MORGAN
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Steve, You have a Parker Bros. GH grade 2 , 12 ga. , 1 Frame with 28" Damascus steel barrels. Nice piece. Join the club and get a letter of information on the gun if available.
ED J, MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ED J, MORGAN For Your Post:
Unread 05-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice old Parker. It is on a #1 frame which is usually a frame used for a 16 gauge which makes for a lighter 12 gauge gun. It appears to be a well used gun like most of them are but they are well built and the grade 2 has some nice engraving. The Damascus barrels can be checked and determined to be safe provided you use appropriate shells for them which are now available. Join our association and you can get more information and connect with a lot of knowledgeable owners who are always glad to discuss parkers.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 2,013 Posts

Very nice gun Steve, in good shape--nothing to restore there! Assuming the bores look good, it would be a handsome shooter. I have a 16 ga Grade 2 GH close to that serial #. As I recall it is from either 1893 or 1897 with that serial #.
Grade 2's were popular guns, a step up from the "base" model.
Unread 05-13-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,960 Times in 1,418 Posts

Looks to me like the stock head is not flush with the action. I think that needs to be investigated.
Chuck Bishop is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 05-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
Steve Wilson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks guys! I've mailed the research request letter off today to get some history on this guy. I'm a Browning Citori guy and am amazed how well this gun feels and pulls up! Probably nothing that I'll ever shoot but still very cool. Great eye Chuck and yes you are correct, the stock is loose and would need some attention if to ever be fired but other then that it seems super solid. Another question, if I wanted to clean the breach to bring out the etching and shine it up what do you fellas recommend? How about the barrel?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2190.jpg (488.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2206.jpg (513.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2199.jpg (489.3 KB, 11 views)
Steve Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
Looks to me like the stock head is not flush with the action. I think that needs to be investigated.
i agree - there seems to be a small gap on the left side - it would be worth having the stock checked for a split in the head area. other than that, if the barrels are good - i wouldn't mess with any restoration - its a nice survivor and like Harold says - would be a fun shooter- i have a 1 frame 12, I often take for grouse and woodcock

but - I'll also say - nice clear pictures - much better than we often see and easier to give you information about your gun
Unread 05-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
Sheepherder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilson View Post
Thanks guys! I've mailed the research request letter off today to get some history on this guy. I'm a Browning Citori guy and am amazed how well this gun feels and pulls up! Probably nothing that I'll ever shoot but still very cool. Great eye Chuck and yes you are correct, the stock is loose and would need some attention if to ever be fired but other then that it seems super solid. Another question, if I wanted to clean the breach to bring out the etching and shine it up what do you fellas recommend? How about the barrel?
DO NOT try to "Shine Up The Breach", you'll do more harm than good, rubbing off any case colors that are left. Wait till you get more knowledge on the correct was to clean it up, but first have the stock head repaired.
Best advice is, go slow & do no harm. Looks like a nice GH !
Hal Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hal Sheets For Your Post:
Unread 05-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #9
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,352 Times in 373 Posts

Congrats on your GH Steve, if your question is how to highlight the engraving you might be interested in this thread,

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...ight+engraving
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

The gun is in overall good condition by way of metal, with a decent amount of original finish remaining. The barrels particularly are very nice. There IS something odd going on with the buttstock. My first thoughts were that the head may be cracked and spreading (as some others suggested), but I kind of think that the stock MAY be a replacement from another gun and a larger frame size. Your guns is a 1 frame. The stock on it may be from a 2 frame gun, which is wider a the action. The buttstock seems to be a little bit of a mismatch to the rest of the gun. And the amount that the wood is proud from the action does not match gapping at the tangs. Which makes me think larger replacement stock.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!