Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Turkey load opinion
Unread 04-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
John J Sundelin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Turkey load opinion

Hi all, tomorrow is is our Turkey opener and I need some advice on shot selection. This is my first time hunting turkey with a gun that isn't 3 inch magnum. I will be using my 1904 VH 12ga with 30inch full and full barrels. I started repairing and cleaning it up 4 years ago but put it on the back burner when my mothers Alzheimer's got to where she needed 24/7 care. She passed awhile back and I figured with this corona virus I better get it back together so my wife wouldn't be left with some guns in various states of repair. This gun hadn't been fired in at least 50 years before the other night. It shot nice, I grew up hunting with a Fox model B my parents bought me when I was 12. Forgot how much I liked side by sides.
These are my choices, all Winchester superX. I have fired the gun 4 times with 7 1/2 trap reloads I have and it patterned great. I won't be shooting past 30 yards, I am thinking 6's in the right with 4's in the left? Are 7 1/2's to small? are 2's to much?
Thanks for any input.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shotselection.jpg (531.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 42020.jpg (552.3 KB, 10 views)
John J Sundelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Some friends swear by 6's. This new Tungsten is amazing, but the store bought stuff is mighty strong.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 04-29-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

I would shoot the #6's in both barrels. Head and neck shots only and you don't need anything bigger to shatter those bones but a dense pattern is your best friend.

My 1898 Titanic barreled DH is also choked F/F (.033" and .034") and one shot with #6 shot has always killed any turkey I've shot at.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

I turkey hunt with a 20 gauge, using 6 and 7.5 shot. Obviously I don't take shots over 30 yards but I feel I have plenty of lethal power using this setup. Personally I wouldn't use that Super X ammo in my classic guns, but others will say they do. I err on the side of caution. Bulged barrels and broken stocks are things I can live without.
Unread 04-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #5
John J Sundelin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
I turkey hunt with a 20 gauge, using 6 and 7.5 shot. Obviously I don't take shots over 30 yards but I feel I have plenty of lethal power using this setup. Personally I wouldn't use that Super X ammo in my classic guns, but others will say they do. I err on the side of caution. Bulged barrels and broken stocks are things I can live without.
Thanks Reggie, I don't plan making a habit out of it due to having to repair the small cracks in the stock already. I will make some milder reloads for next year, didn't have time this year.
Unread 04-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
John J Sundelin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Some friends swear by 6's. This new Tungsten is amazing, but the store bought stuff is mighty strong.
I haven't tried any of the tungsten yet, isn't that really hard? I know the tungsten we used in our tig torches when welding aircraft parts was very hard and brittle. Wonder if the shot is pure or an alloy?
Unread 04-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,606 Times in 1,842 Posts

John given the options you have provided and the 30 yards max distance I would opt for the 6's. For years the argument around here was whether to use 4's or 6's, I just split the difference and have always used 5's. That decision was made considering the fact that at the time I was shooting 3" and 3 1/2" loads with up to 2 ounces of shot and shooting some distance, or hoping to. Now that I am using my Parkers on turkeys and limiting the shots to 30 yards or so I am more in favor of the 6's for the pattern density as I am using RST ammo with 1 1/8 ounce of shot. RST offers what they refer to as a Pheasant load which is 1 1/4 ounces of 6's at 1200 FPS. I am wanting to pattern that one some day. I am with Reggie on your ammo in that I would not shoot those in my Parker, others will but I will pass. You should have your guns barrels evaluated by a competent gunsmith to determine their integrity also. Forget the 2's unless you want to put one of those in the second barrel just in case a coy dog wanders by
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 04-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #8
Mark Garrett
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've kill more than 60 turkeys with number sixes , they work great even past 50 with enough density . 7.5 will do the job out 30 no problem .
Mark Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark Garrett For Your Post:
Unread 04-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #9
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J Sundelin View Post
I am thinking 6's in the right with 4's in the left? Are 7 1/2's to small? are 2's to much?
Thanks for any input.
John
I say yes and yes. If your gun is a number 2 frame, I would not hesitate to shoot 1 1/4 ounces as few times as you will get a chance at a turkey.

The reason I say 6s right, 4s left, is that if you shoot the 6s and miss or cripple, he does not stand there dumbfounded for you to take a second head shot, and you are now shooting at a running or flying bird hauling butt. That's why Charlie on here likes 2s in the left for a body shot.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 04-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #10
John J Sundelin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
I say yes and yes. If your gun is a number 2 frame, I would not hesitate to shoot 1 1/4 ounces as few times as you will get a chance at a turkey.

The reason I say 6s right, 4s left, is that if you shoot the 6s and miss or cripple, he does not stand there dumbfounded for you to take a second head shot, and you are now shooting at a running or flying bird hauling butt. That's why Charlie on here likes 2s in the left for a body shot.
That was my reasoning also and yes, it's a number 2. Thanks