Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #21
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Bill,Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.
Unread 07-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #22
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Personally, I kinda like the look of early graded Parker's ordered Sans dolls head & safety.
As did early professional Parker shooter Frank Parmalee, that's the way he ordered his.

Best, CSL

Unread 07-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Nice one Chris. It looks like a DH, is it?

Did Parker ever attempt to produce an ejector gun without a doll's head. It seems to me it would be impossible . . . or would it? Something has to act as a detent for the ejectors but I would think that could be done in the same manner that the detent screw was done on an extractor gun. Anyone know?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 01:15 AM   #24
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dean, Yes, that one is a DH...

Murphy referred to the dolls head as a bit of period cosmetic hype, and I tend to agree... You also raise a good question concerning alternative ejector designs, but I don't recall Parker Bros ever coming up with another plan for their ejector system... In the past KBM has discussed in great detail his experiences with the fragile tracks/guides under the dolls head, and how the slightest offset or damage could seriously and sometimes permanently disable proper ejector function... Given the delicate nature of the dolls head ejector design, one can't help but wonder if perhaps there might have been a better way to build that mouse trap?...

Best, CSL
Unread 07-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #25
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Red face Trojans with and w/o "doll's head" rib extensions

All very informative replies indeed. Without getting into the Fox gun arena here, perhaps the Trojan with the small rib extension, no matter what name properly describes it, as Parker's economy gun, competed for market share with the Sterlingworth, the LC Smith-Hunter Fulton, and later the Ithaca/LeFever Nitro Special.

Of all these "economy" based doubles produced by major double gun makers, it is my understanding that only the Fox Sterlingworth had the option of selective ejectors. I can now see why Parker didn't offer that on the Trojan model- A grouse hunting pal has a later Ilion mfg. Trojan 20 bore, plain breech face as on the M21, and a Miller single trigger. Nice bird gun indeed.

In Paul Curtis' 1934 book "Guns and Gunning" he discusses the doll's head in his chapter on double gun types, but if he mentioned the Model 21 therein, I missed it. By increasing the length from the standing face to the knuckle-or hinge pin, the Winchester design team added strength, but also extra metal, hence a heavier gun. Fine for the duck blind or goose pit or pigeon ring, but perhaps a tad heavy for an all-day hike after wild flushing Roosters in SD.

Last edited by Francis Morin; 07-22-2009 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: correct duplication of now!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #26
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

I see no reason why a screw in the same or similar location as the extractor limiting screw couldn't perform the same function in an ejector gun. As a matter of fact, a gun with a broken limiter plate couldn't be put back into action by the installation of a limiting screw. In fact, I remember a poster on this or another gun site posting a photo of a Parker with a broken limiting plate asking about the suitability of his gun for shooting. He was referred to Larry Del Grego for repair of his limiting plate.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote