Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Soon to be 1st time parker owner.
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Tom Wheaton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Soon to be 1st time parker owner.

Hello, new to the forum and just recently put some money down on a Parker gh hammerless 12ga. I've always wanted a nice Parker and decided to take the plunge. I don't have all the particulars or photos of it yet. I did get the serial number as 155408. Parker special steel barrels which look to be about 28". Didn't think to measure them. I did notice on the barrel flat, 3¹¹, which is unstruck weight and not 3 inch chambers as the shop owner was trying to convince me that it meant. I did not notice the frame size. This gun has a beavertail forearm with the support bolt. All numbers match. No dings dents or rust. Only bugger on the gun was an open recoil pad. I will be joining and sending for a letter when I get the old girl paid for. Until then can anyone tell me more? How early did Parker have beavertail forearms? Thank you, Tom Wheaton in northwestern Pa
Tom Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Does it have the one-piece (reinforced) forend lug?
3 lb., 11 oz. barrels would seem to indicate a 1 1/2 frame gun, but not absolutely.

What do you mean by "open recoil pad"? It could very well be original. Don't remove it until you get a PGCA research letter. Join the PGCA for $40 and your research letter will cost you only $40.... if you are not a PGCA member the letter will be $100.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Tom Wheaton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hello Dean. I didn't pay attention to the lug. I read in an earlier post that the reinforced lug may not have been introduced until around 1918, is that correct? By open recoil pad, I should have said vented, it looked like a Pachmayr white line. I just saw that it wasn't a solid pad. Thank you for the reply, Tom
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Sounds like a gooden, pictures when you get it. best ch u
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

Tom,
Welcome and congrats on your new Parker. Would love to see it when you get it. What a great gun for your first. A GH with fluid steel and btfe. By "open" recoil pad, I am sure you mean an open cushion pad. What kind of pad is it? If it is a white line or other type of pachmyer pad, then it would not be correct for the gun for sure. There were many open cushion pads that are period correct and very well could have been installed originally. Hawkins and jostam pads are two that are common.
If your pad is not correct for the gun, it can be easily corrected by putting a proper style pad onto it. Of, if the length of pull warrants it, a buttplate can be put back onto it.
Unread 04-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Tom Wheaton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hello Brian. I do believe its a Pachmayr. I can't wait to get the gun myself. I see that you do beautiful stock work. I purchased a Remington 11F grade a couple days ago. It has an OK replacement stock on it. But it came with the original badly repaired butt stock that still contains the gold oval inlay that has the original purchasers name engraved in it. How are the inlays typically held in place? I would like to remove it without damages. Thank you, Tom