Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 06-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #41
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Well I was in Arkansas hunting ducks , we had come out of the sink box tom leave and one of the guys said look at that it was a drake Pintail flying high overhead the boys with the benellies, shook there head I raised up my 32" PHE shot and the duck came down they all looked at me and shook their heads in disbelief, duck is mounted in my upstairs bedroom, guess I was just lucky that day to show off what a good Parker will do, gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #42
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

BY the way it was a 10 gauge PHE Steel barrel gun, gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #43
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Gary's story reminds me of a duck hunt I had at Marais Temps Claire in St Charles Mo many years ago. We were wade and shoot hunting, and the birds really were not working to well that day. The other three guys in our group decided to go back behind the willows and take lunch... Being a hard headed Irishman, I stayed out by the spread.....

Finally two Gaddies decided to come with in range, and I got nervous because I knew at that point I was on stage...... The were just off to my right, and I emptied both barrels of the Browning Citori I was using at the time, and both birds fell stone dead right in front of me.... I hear in the background some light applause from the lunch crowd in the background.... I think that was most nervous I've ever been taking a shot at any flying game, as I knew if I missed both shots.... It'd be a long way home that day.
Unread 06-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #44
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

these stories are great...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2020, 05:06 PM   #45
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Hitting the tough ones, and missing the easy ones -- something very universal in all of this.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #46
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

The toughest shot for me is sitting on a dove stool without standing up to shoot when a dove is in range.
Hunting & shooting
Unread 06-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #47
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,554 Times in 380 Posts

Default Hunting & shooting

As a kid we hunted extensively. Growing up in southwest Idaho in the late 60s/early 70s there were multiple types of birds to hunt and we hunted them all. One Saturday, late in the season, we were hunting pheasants. As we drove down the very rural county road we saw several roosters crossing into an alfalfa field. The farmer was in his coral a few hundred yards away feeding his cattle, so we asked and he said go get them. I had my brand new Superposed Superlight and we let the dogs out. My shorthair went about 40 yards and pointed as did my buddy's English setter, separate birds. I walked in and flushed a magnificent rooster; two shots, not a feather. My buddy did the same. Both dogs repositioned a few yards away on rock solid points. Same result. As we drove past the farmer he just threw his hand down at us. We still don't talk about that day.
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Stauch For Your Post:
Unread 06-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #48
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

I was about 20 and often hunted pheasant and trapped mink and muskrats around a small local airport. One morning I parked my ‘65 Chevelle on a small hill where airport maintenance mowed a strip next to the access road. Next to the mown grass was a field that dropped into an alder and swamp maple swale. I loaded my 20 gauge pump and headed for the edge of the field.... this was before I had a dog... As soon as I stepped into the tall grass two big cock pheasants flushed in unison hammering for the open sky. I threw the gun to my shoulder and POW! folded that bird and he dropped like a rock, racked in a fresh shell as I swung on the second bird and folded him neatly too. I searched for a half-hour but never found either bird.

It was that day that I realized the importance of a dog... not so much to point and hold a bird, but to find it after you drop it and bring it to you.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #49
bob weeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

My first thought was a grouse dropping from a tree. I can only remember one good shot on those and it was with a Winchester 12 trap gun at the end of walking many miles jump shooting. I was very surprised at the flush and just re-acted. If I had been fresh at the beginning of the day and put any thought into the shot I am sure i would have missed. Since the dropping grouse has been mentioned I will throw in one more. A grouse someone has flushed a ways away that is crossing full speed through the trees. The longer I see it coming the more likely the miss! Several years back I was on an all day trek through a large chunk of woods. Had a new to me Francotte double 12 with 26 inch barrels and beavertail forend. Choked IC and modified. It was still the first few days of the season. I shot my first grouse at 6:30. Took a nice picture of the grouse and shotgun on a stump and thought to myself you are 6 for 6 on grouse with this gun so far this year. I was feeling quite accomplished. The rest of the day was a banner day for flushes. I put up 31 birds and saw almost all of them. Well that accomplished feeling went away. 31 flushes since the first bird and I still had only one bird when I called it a day! Every shot after I figured my averages was the hardest shot!
bob weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bob weeman For Your Post:
Unread 06-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #50
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob weeman View Post
A grouse someone has flushed a ways away that is crossing full speed through the trees. The longer I see it coming the more likely I am to miss it.

This brings fresh to my mind the crisp clear morning that Jamie, my brother in law, and I were hunting down the “Scrubapple Hillside” that I used to ski down 35 years ago but which had grown up in wild apples, young pines and spruces and maples. There were still a lot of clearings and openings between the trees though.
Jamie, off to my right about 40 yards, flushed a grouse but never saw it. I saw it as soon as it flushed and watched as it streaked straight at me about six feet off the ground. When I could gather my composure I snapped the gun up and swung hard through its line of flight and touched the front trigger when it was directly in front of me and crossing to the left.
All I saw was a cloud of feathers like I had shot through a pillow. I thought it was useless to even pick the thing up off the ground. It had been about 10 or 12 feet off my gun barrels when I fired.

Much to my delight I had blown out its back but the breast meat had not one pellet hole in it.

It was just instinctive snap-shooting without a split second to think.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: