Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Thanks Scott
Unread 05-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,368 Times in 12,412 Posts

Default Thanks Scott

At long last I drove to Scott Kittredge's shop in response to an email he sent me earlier in the day which simply said "Come and get it."

It will look a lot better once I hang it squarely and properly in a prominent and fitting spot but I am pretty excited and just want to share this masterpiece from a fine taxidermist. I am delighted with Scott's work. You may remember the pictures of my rack that I posted last year....

B & C Score is 186 3/8 Gross.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ballardvale Buck 186.jpg (270.8 KB, 1 views)
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

dean that sure is a truly great mount...scott sure done a fine job he is a master in his own right.... congratulations to you both....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,457 Posts

Dean,
Details of the hunt please.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,636 Times in 3,128 Posts

That is a beautiful mount. I'll bet your little ole heart was going BA-BOMP BA-BOMP.
Sorry I missed them, Please post pictures of your rack again. On second thought, never mind.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,524 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Dean,
Details of the hunt please.
yes Dean, do tell scott and thanks, it is ez to make a mount look good with antlers that BIG!!
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,103 Posts

Dean ,I recall the rack and it looks magnificent on the head !!!!!! Absolutely Beautiful ! Congrats to you and also to your fine Taxidermist ! Would enjoy the details of the hunt ,must have been unbelievable , did you have any idea there was a Buck of that magnitude in the area you were hunting !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,368 Times in 12,412 Posts

I wish there were a "story of the hunt" for this magnificent creature but the sequence of events is rather sad and bizarre.

Here in the little village of Ballardvale in Andover MA deer are relatively common and Kathy and I watch them from our kitchen window quite often. I actually saw this guy four years before he died but he was not the stud he was in his old age. I figure this buck was 8 or nine years old when he died. His face and neck were almost white with age...

Long story - shorter...

On November 17 2003 a friend who is a railroad engineer telephoned me at 9 pm saying he had hit a big buck. I asked how bad his car was... He said "I hit him with the train." I replied "You hit a lot of deer with the train, what's the big deal?" He told me "This is the first one I ever felt! I need you to take care of it because he's still alive." I asked him when he had hit the buck and where it was. He said he had hit the buck the night before (24 hours earlier) on the same route at the same time - just a little before 9 pm, and he is 300 yards from the Ballardvale Station. I told him I would take care of the buck and do the humane thing and kill him quickly. I took my Martin compound bow and a broadhead and my mini-mag flashlight and walked up the tracks 300 long paces. Surprisingly, I found the buck - his front end up on his forelegs and quite alert and aggressive but his entire hind end - bones and everything - was like junk in a bag. I put my flashlight in my teeth, knocked an arrow and put it through his heart. In less than a minute he met a very deserved and dignified death. End of story...

His gross typican Boone & Crocket score is 186 3/8" and when I had him measured in 2004 he was the third highest scoring buck ever recorded in Massachusetts - that's why I had him mounted - just for his sheer magnificence... not that I had done anything to be proud of.

Footnote: In order to do justice to the size of the antlers Scott had to get a huge cape from a buck that came out of Saskatchewan. They grow 'em really big up there where it gets really cold and genetically the deer are just bigger to sustain them in that harsh winter climate.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,103 Posts

Dean ,A very sad story indeed ,what a shame for such a magnificent Animal to end up in that situation ! I must respectively disagree with you though , you did do something to be very proud of ,you helped a friend which must have been very upset to see this Deer alive and suffering after the accident and also , Quickly and Humanely dispatched a suffering animal ! You Did the Right Thing , and also for respect of such a fine Deer had him mounted ! Good on you !!!!!! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,729 Posts

Congratulations Dean, That magnificent animal deserved to be saved for others to enjoy.

Scott,A wonderful mount. You are a man of many talents and I applaud your skill.....

Except for your shooting abilitys lately..........
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,524 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Congratulations Dean, That magnificent animal deserved to be saved for others to enjoy.

Scott,A wonderful mount. You are a man of many talents and I applaud your skill.....

Except for your shooting abilitys lately..........
i'll show you shooting abilitys and thanks on your kind words, and that goes rest of you, scott
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote