Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-23-2019, 07:09 AM   #11
Brett Farley
PGCA Member

Member Info

C.O.B.,
First, I’m envious that you will be spending 5 weeks “Up North”!! That alone is a treasure. Oh...then the decision on the guns!! I’ll be taking my A Grd. 16 Fox 2 barrel set for most of my Grouse/Woodcock trips this year. With two barrels/choke configurations is a good all around choice. Excited as this is Rosey’s first year in the woods and the excitement that comes w/a new pup!
Brett Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Farley For Your Post:
Unread 08-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #12
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Instead of counting sheep to get to sleep at night, I scheme on which gun to use for the upcoming hunts -- dove, grouse, woodcock, quail, ducks, etc. I hope I never cease to be optimistic for the future at this time of year. I think I'll not check the news any more, and just check the weather. On second thought, I'll pass on checking the weather, too.
Gary I woke up in the recliner at 2:45 am went to the bathroom then to bed. I laid there thinking what 20 gauges would make the trip to the U.P. I was still awake at 3:30
Unread 08-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,567 Times in 3,075 Posts

OK, I want to be sure I'm clear. I said I scheme for which gun to use for which season to help get me to sleep. I never said this strategy worked!

Hey, if ya gotta stay awake, ya might as well be productive.

BTW, I've just about settled on what guns to take to MN for grouse and woodcock: my Dickson 28 bore (it's gone with me for 31 years), and my Parker DH 16 (this will be its 2nd season with me in MN). Both have very similar stock configurations and fit me well, and both have the straight/splinter/two trigger features I like best. I may (fingers crossed) have my AH 16 back and ready to go also.

Now, as for the dove opener, I'm still sleepless about this decision.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #14
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Heff I have no idea how you can manage a 32 inch gun in the grouse coverts my max is 28 and sometimes that's more barrel length than I care for.

The only hunting I can manage with a hammer gun are quail. I've tried it always alone and just can't manage it comfortably. For those that do my hats off to you. Brett I think your next 28 should be a hammer gun,

Gary the Dickson sounds like a dream gun. I don't hunt doves so I can't help you there but if I did a grade 1 32inch 16ga hammer gun would be a top pick for me.
Unread 08-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #15
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

28 and 26 are the lengths I shoot for quail and woodcock. There is talk of grouse hunting in the Southern Appalachians too, so we'll see. Lost count of the new ones, but here are a few of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (493.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (510.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (498.0 KB, 8 views)
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 08-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #16
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mills if you have lost count of the new ones then your on the right track my friend I haven't bought a shotgun in quite a while. I'd like a 410 hammer gun preferably with 30 inch barrels and an open choked 20 hammer gun as my Boss is pretty tightly choked. I am however working on yet another rifle on a single shot Winchester High Wall action. I'll be picking out the stock blank today.
Unread 08-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #17
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

It's an easier decision for me. I have two GHs, a 12 and a 20 both with 26" barrels, and each will get time afield. I'll bring along my old Browning lightning 20 ga which I just can't make myself leave home. The Parkers that I think about at night are the ones I don't have...yet. What keeps me awake is the scheming on how to get them.
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #18
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Mills if you have lost count of the new ones then your on the right track my friend I haven't bought a shotgun in quite a while. I'd like a 410 hammer gun preferably with 30 inch barrels and an open choked 20 hammer gun as my Boss is pretty tightly choked. I am however working on yet another rifle on a single shot Winchester High Wall action. I'll be picking out the stock blank today.
I am not buying any more right now and enjoying the new ones. I am thinking about getting some Spanish guns next. AyA and Arrieta 28 and 410s maybe. Also want to add to the rifle collection which is basically one right now.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #19
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
I'd like a 410 hammer gun preferably with 30 inch barrels and an open choked 20 hammer gun as my Boss is pretty tightly choked.
A friend of mine just bought a Parker hammer gun -- his first. We shot some black powder loads out of it on the skeet field. It was a lot of fun. We got to talking about hunting with a hammer gun. I assume you carry them with hammer's uncocked and when a bird flushes you cock and shoot one barrel at a time. Is that right? Or is it possible to cock bother barrels as you bring up the gun?
Unread 08-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #20
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

If the terrain permits, I prefer hammers cocked with the action open. Fast shots seem easier that way.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Austin J Hawthorne Jr. For Your Post: