Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

10 Ga. Parker Hammer TL
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
BillStribling
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 10 Ga. Parker Hammer TL

I have my Gr Grandfathers 10 gauge Parker and hope ya'll can help me identify what grade, when it was made etc.. I can't send a pic now, but will later. It is a top lifter, 33" barrels, 3 1/2 inch.The best I can make out the serial number is 128743 from a number on the trigger guard tang. The left side lock has a scroll type engraving followed by Parker Bros, two quail, then another flowery scroll. The same on the right sideplate, but with two waterfowl. The is a lot of other engraving such as right and left of the top lifter, trigger guard, etc. The buttplate has Parker Bros. and the head of a hunting dog. The grip cap has Parker Bros. The top rib on the barrels says Parker Bros makers, Meriden Ct. Damascus Steel.I have reloaded BP shells (80 grains of powder)and killed a few turkeys with this gun, but my question is, it safe to shoot on a regular basis for Canada Geese? The gun is extremely tight.
BillStribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Welcom Bill!
There is conflicting information in the Ser. & ID book. 128743 is shown to be a 16 ga. VH with 30" barrels. The gun you describe sounds like a grade 2 and your description is of an entirely different gun. Are you sure about the serial number? There are other places where the serial number is stamped. Take the forend and barrels off and look on the bottom of the forend iron, the eater table of the action and on the left side of the barrel lug. The numbers you find there should all match.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
BillStribling
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sorry, the correct serial # is 128745
Unread 10-31-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
BillStribling
Forum Associate

Member Info

OK, I found the Parker info page, and my gun seems to be a 10 gauge "G" grade #2 from what I can see. There are pics that have engraving exactly like my gun, so the grade is correct I believe. The bore in my gun is a little rough, even after a good cleaning, so I would still like someones opinion on regular use on waterfowl. Thanks for the welcome and the help.
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

And the book says it was manufactured with 32" barrels.
Bores that are a "little rough" can often be shot without a problem but your Parker should be examined by an expert in these old guns. The fact that you have used it for turkeys tells me that it would be okay for decoying geese. You can buy or load low-pressure ammo for your gun that would be quite effective for geese without putting any unusual stress on your Parker.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,782 Times in 4,717 Posts

Could you remeasure your barrels and see if they are, in fact, 33" long? A 33" barrel set would be quite unusual and interesting.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote