Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 10-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
Steve, reloading for the short ten is the only way to go if you are going to shoot any volume of shells through one. Just yesterday I hit 1800 2 7/8" 10 ga shells through a Parker NH since Fall 2010 shooting crows. Then there are many rounds of trap ans skeet and a bunch of non-tox loads at waterfowl.

My 1 1/4 ounce lead shot, low pressure reloads in 10ga cost me about $8 per 25. My savings though reloading the short ten is significant.
J.B. am I understanding that you took 1800 shots with your 10 at crows? Wow! You really do like that gun!

I'm still limping along with my 12s and usually only spitting 1 oz of #8s, but not a crows!

Here we don't have crows, we have ravens, a bigger bird. Ravens are smart. They'll let you walk up on them unless you have a gun in your hand, then they'll fly at 400 yards.

Do you think that a 1 1/4 load in a 10 is better, shoots better patterns, than a similar load in a 12?

Of course shooting guns that we think are fun to shoot is what it is all about. I shoot 16s just to be different...10s would be even more so. LOL
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Steve, Get a 10 and you will not regret it. You should be able to find a good Parker 10 for around $1000 if you watch Gunbroker for a little while.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
J.B. am I understanding that you took 1800 shots in your 10 at crows? Wow! You really do like that gun!

Do you think that a 1 1/4 load in a 10 is better, shoots better patterns, than a similar load in a 12?

Of course shooting guns that we think are fun to shoot is what it is all about. I shoot 16s just to be different...10s would be even more so. LOL
You will get better patterns with a 10 vs a 12 with the same payload. I'm no ballistics expert so I can't explain the physics of it but I did pattern comparing 1 1/4 oz loads for 12 and 10 and the shot pattern on the paper verses the two, the 10 was more dense which explains why the clay explodes into diesel smoke when you crush 'em. At least to me anyway....

You were deciding to go with VH or DH in an earlier thread. Get the nicest 10 you can afford and don't look back. They are a fun gun to shoot and more versatile than you think if you reload your own shells.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Cronin View Post
You will get better patterns with a 10 vs a 12 with the same payload. I'm no ballistics expert so I can't explain the physics of it but I did pattern comparing 1 1/4 oz loads for 12 and 10 and the shot pattern on the paper verses the two, the 10 was more dense which explains why the clay explodes into diesel smoke when you crush 'em. At least to me anyway....

You were deciding to go with VH or DH in an earlier thread. Get the nicest 10 you can afford and don't look back. They are a fun gun to shoot and more versatile than you think if you reload your own shells.
Thanks, I'm waiting for a good show to come around here before a buy a new Parker.
Unread 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
pete did you buy that old lc smith ten... charlie
I did not buy it and I believe the KTP still has the gun. They want $1095 for it which I take is a little bit high for what it is. However it is an "honest" and solid Elsie hammer 10 that someone would/will enjoy.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Steven, I am a recent convert to the 10 ga. I happened to get one from another PGCA member, then I found another at a gun show last month.
Last wekend I went on a pheasant hunt with 3 parkers. A VH12, A grade 2 10ga. hammerless and a grade 1 10ga. hammered. The 10s shot better than the 12. better swing and less recoil. I was shooting RST low pressure loads of
1 1/4 oz 7 1/2 shot in all guns. The extra weight takes up a lot of recoil. I am now a convert. I dont have $600.00 in either 10ga.
Like the old TV ad said "try it, you'l like it"
Unread 10-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Plager View Post
Steven, I am a recent convert to the 10 ga. I happened to get one from another PGCA member, then I found another at a gun show last month.
Last wekend I went on a pheasant hunt with 3 parkers. A VH12, A grade 2 10ga. hammerless and a grade 1 10ga. hammered. The 10s shot better than the 12. better swing and less recoil. I was shooting RST low pressure loads of
1 1/4 oz 7 1/2 shot in all guns. The extra weight takes up a lot of recoil. I am now a convert. I dont have $600.00 in either 10ga.
Like the old TV ad said "try it, you'l like it"
Thanks Paul, I'm going to keep my eye peeled for one.

I just shot my 12 GH with Polywad one oz 2.5" shells and was surprised how much the gun kicked. It is a #2 frame and it must weight 8 lbs. Not only that, but the full chokes are extremely tight, gun made in 1896. It didn't hurt to shoot the gun, but I thought that those Polywad shells would shoot noticebly softer. Not so, not in the least.
Unread 10-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Steve, there are a few on gunbroker. I was just looking at them, but alas my extra funds are allocated twards my vacation go Seattle next month ( boy do I wish my dad would travel to me) (I hate the rain)
Unread 10-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Plager View Post
Steve, there are a few on gunbroker. I was just looking at them, but alas my extra funds are allocated twards my vacation go Seattle next month ( boy do I wish my dad would travel to me) (I hate the rain)
It will rain in Seattle. Don't miss Pike's Place down by the water. Always fun down there. Crab are in season. The Manhatten Bar/Grill is good. Chocolate martinis/steaks. I don't know of any gun shops in Seattle. Think steaks, crab and gin.
Unread 10-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #20
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Steve, I was stuck in Seattle for 29 years. Finaly got to move back to gods country. God Bless Texas! There are lots of gun shops in & arround Seattle. You missed seeing the troll under the Freefont bridge ,Bohem's candy shop in Issaquah, Ivars Salmon house on Queen Ann hill and last but not least authentic Indian smoked salmon from Blake IslandYum Yum.
Even with all that, I still hate the rain.